• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Problems with google maps - can't locate without network location

Tim K

Android Expert
Nov 2, 2009
Phila, PA
Google maps has started having problems recently. Just noticed that I cannot establish my location without allowing location via network location. GPS sensors are working fine, tested those, but my phone cannot locate me without using the network. GPS location seems not to work at all. Cannot locate me more accurately than 20 meters.

Lots of comments on Android Market that others are having problems since the 5.1 update.

Running Droid on 2.2.1

yea this problem hve arrived after 5.1 update...I think u should mail the developer.
or u can try uninstall it an reinstall it again..!

I've tried downgrading and reinstalling a few times as well as rebooting. Still doesn't seem to work. As for emailing the developer....well, that would be google and they don't exactly offer an email address. I did post a bug report on the android code page.

I also noticed that when you open maps after changing location it doesn't seem to jump to the new location. You have to hit the my location button in the upper right.

Upvote 0
Try downloading this app: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.eclipsim.gpsstatus2&feature=search_result and running it outside in an open area of course. It should automatically download Assistance GPS data upon first use. If not, Menu>Tools>Manage A-GPS state>reset, then download. Stand outside in a wide open area and let your phone find as many satellites as possible. After that, you should be good. I, and many others on SDX, use this app after flashing a new rom or what have you. Not sure if its really needed on newer devices, but I know it is on my Samsung Moment. Otherwise, I dont ever get a lock at all. Just a thought.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones