1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support New Razr and a little confused.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Windows7Koala, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Windows7Koala

Windows7Koala Lurker
    None

Sep 7, 2012
    I just got my Razr Maxx yesterday, and immediately put it on the charger to let it get a nice, long charge before even using it. The first thing I noticed was no LED, I thought the Razr has one but for whatever reason it appears that it's either non-existent or not working. (My phone is STILL unactivated so I can't really use it anyway) Do you think that the reason for the LED not showing is because I haven't even been able to complete initial setup and get to the lock screen?

Also, how easily does permanent little knicks, dots and scratches get on the screen? Like, the horrible situation where you get some dust under it and it will never come out. Do I need to pamper the phone like a queen to keep the screen nice and fresh?

One more thing... The phone has been charging since 3:30pm yesterday, and it's 5am when I'm writing this, and it won't be activated until later today, and I won't even be home until like 3pm. So I know it will be plenty charged up, but how often should I charge it to keep the battery in good shape? As in, if I have certain charging habits, i.e. using it to 90% and charging it back to 100% like 6 times a day, as opposed to draining it to 10% and charging it to 100% will it have any longterm effects? I usually just charge my phone overnight while I sleep.

Thanks for any help and sorry for the walls of text!

Advertisement

2. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ...eschew obfuscation...

Jun 23, 2010
    Male
    Douglas, MA
    Welcome to Android Forums Windows7Koala.:)

Not sure about the LED notification (whether it has one or not) but it would make sense that it isn't lighting up if it isn't activated. There is nothing to notify you about.;)

I have found the screens pretty scratch resistant (I've had two OG Droids and a D2, plus the GNex I run now) but always use a screen protector. While they are scratch resistant, they are not scratch proof. Put them in contact with keys or change in your pocket and you will likely end up with scratches.:rolleyes:

As far as your battery goes, you have exactly the right idea. Plug it in when you go to bed and don't worry about it. I know you may be able to get 2 days out of that beast of a battery, but why push it. You will do no harm to the battery simply plugging it in over night and starting each day with a full charge.

3. AntimonyER

AntimonyER CHANGED FROM AF ADDICT MIKESTONY
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    Statesboro, GA
    Welcome to AF!

The RAZR MAXX DOES have an LED notification light, so like Pup said, its probably just because you haven't activated it.

As far as the battery, one good practice is the first time you use it, let it drain all the way down to a few percentage. The reason isn't for the battery, but for the battery reporting. This acts to calibrate your battery reporting, so you get the most accurate percentage of life remaining. After that, charge it each night, and you should NEVER run out of battery with the MAXX. Enjoy your new phone, and thanks for joining up! :)

4. cbreze

cbreze Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 6, 2011
    Central Oregon
    There is no LED that lites up when charging if that's what you mean. If a charging LED is important to you check out light flow in market store. I've had mine seven months and not a scratch yet. I also have plugged in Every night and charge thru the nite with no issues.

5. 94lt1

94lt1 Newbie
    None

Jun 12, 2012
    musician
    SE Texas
    When the razr is charging it flashes(one time when you plug it in) and that's it.. other than that, the only time you will get an led notification is when the device is activated..

Congrats on the new device... a word of advice, don't kill the battery. If the battery voltage drops too low, the device won't take a charge. Its a built in fail safe to protect the circuitry.

It can be charged with a factory data cable(not the factory supplied charge cable)

Also, use only the supplied wall charger with the device, or an approved car charger. Using other chargers can cause problems when charging...

Enjoy :)

6. Windows7Koala

Windows7Koala Lurker
    None

Sep 7, 2012
    Thanks everyone for your help!

I found the LED, it was flashing green from all the texts I didn't return in the past 2 days so I guess it was because I had to activate. The reason I ask about the charging light, was the LG Ally had a green LED while charging if it was almost full, and red if it was still almost dead. And it was white when I had a notification. A charging LED doesn't mean much to me at all just curious.

I think I'll just treat it like my old phone and charge it no matter what over night. However my problem my old phone had with that, was after about 6 months, the battery would die in an hour if it weren't for the Batter Defender app.

Speaking of the BD app, should I get it for my Razr? I like it because it keeps apps dead and gives good info on the battery life as well as keeping the phone alive. The problem I had with that on my old Ally however, is when the app was off, the phone would maybe last 45 minutes. I assume it was just a coincidence.

Again, thanks for all the help!

7. carracerz14

carracerz14 Android Expert
    None

Feb 4, 2011
    No charging led by default but there's apps that will do it

8. carracerz14

None

Feb 4, 2011
    Oh yeah and for the battery thing. I have always charged mine over night and it's still fine. Had it for over 6 months. Had no problems with my Droid x either and had that for 1.5r years

9. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ...eschew obfuscation...

Jun 23, 2010
    Male
    Douglas, MA
    I'm not familiar with Battery Defender, but based on your description, it sounds like it was performing some automatic task killing as well. If so, don't use it. Task killers will shorten your battery life. Android is designed to run at near memory capacity to maximize battery life and performance. Task killers short circuit this and actually make it worse. More or less, ignore tasks running in the background as they really aren't "running" usually. They are just sitting their in memory so if you want to use them they load quicker. After some time with your phone Android will learn which apps you frequently use and preload those before apps you infrequently use or never use. It learns this via having to free memory on its own. When you load cool useful app and Android has to push crappy VZW Bloat App off the stack to load it, it remembers that. After a while it will cache your cool app instead of the bloat so your phone works for you.

Also, with the battery you have on the MAXX, I wouldn't worry about any battery saver anyway. You could damn near jump start a car with that thing.:D

10. Windows7Koala

Windows7Koala Lurker
    None

Sep 7, 2012
    Okay so I'll just charge it overnight, and not get any task killers, thanks!

Just 2 more concerns with the phone. The first one being, how often should I shut down my phone? And I don't mean just a quick reboot, but I mean is there any time when I should just shut down my phone for a little while?

Also, when I set my alarm, and turn up the volume, and turn on the 'volume increase' option, when my alarm goes off it doesn't make any noise. It just vibrates. I set an alarm like this a couple minutes ahead of time because the past 2 days I've missed 3 of my scheduled alarms. Does the 'volume increase' option just have the phone start with a vibrate, then get louder?

11. carracerz14

None

Feb 4, 2011
    Go to settings >sounds>volumes>and turn alarm volume all the way up. The volume controls on the side only control the volume of whatever is currently happening. So you wouldn't be able to control alarm volume with them unless the alarm was going off.

As for turning your phone off, it doesn't really make a difference. You can do a quick reboot whenever you feel your phone getting sluggish as that usually helps. I like to reboot mine every 4 days or so just to keep things fresh (sometimes it's multiple times a day, when I get into my flashing habbits)

Some people argue that you never have to turn your phone off because android manages ram better and that theoretically it will clear it on its own. But there have been numerous times when my ram was getting low and my phone started to shutter(mostly on my Droid x, haven't really experienced it on my maxx yet)