1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root new rooted NC!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mrfeh, Mar 11, 2011.

1. mrfeh

mrfeh Member
    None

Mar 9, 2011
    Hi folks!

So, I purchased an NC yesterday and rooted it last night, using autonooter 3.0.0. I didn't have any time to play w/ it before going to bed.

I realize I can search for these answers, and I plan on doing that, but if anybody is feeling helpful, I have some initial questions (I am completely new to android).

• can the device be set up for more than one user, including passwords?
    • is there a better/preferred keyboard app than the stock one?
    • is there a version of the chrome browser I could run (I use chrome on my other machines)?
    • is there a better/preferred email client than the stock one (in particular, w/ good IMAP support)?
    • what is the preferred e-reading app?

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. nj02vette

nj02vette Android Expert
    None

Jul 9, 2010
    Male
    Marlton, NJ
    I don't believe you can set the device up with different profiles. It is just a stretched up phone OS, designed as such, and I don't know any phones that have profiles. But maybe it's possible.

There are other keyboards out there. Most are pretty finiky though, so you'll have to look around.

I believe there is a version of the chrome browser, but you have to be on 2.2 to use it. Rooted, the nook runs Android 2.1. It is possible to edit your build.prop file to trick it into thinking it's 2.2.

Gmail works just so good, why would anyone want something else? However, I've heard good things about K9.

I've been using the stock nook e-reader functions, along with the Android Nook app, the Android Kindle app, and the Google books app. Once you root, you've got some choices. :D

3. Snazzy

Snazzy Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 13, 2010
    K9 has excellent IMAP push features.

4. Mostly Harmless

Mostly Harmless Android Expert
    None

Apr 15, 2010
    Engineer
    New York
    What's your favorite e-reader function so far?

5. bgrutter

bgrutter Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 20, 2010
    Thumb Keyboard is excellent. It is a paid app ($1.65), but definitely worth it in my opinion. Trying to use the native keyboard makes you really stretch your thumbs to type.

Remember, with a small paid app like this, you can always download it and try using it real quick drafting an email or something and see if you like it. If you don't like it, the ~15 trial period should be plenty to get your refund.

Side note: I also use Thumb Keyboard as my landscape keyboard on my rooted DInc (Swype is assigned for Portrait using Keyboard Manager).

6. toomuchgame441

toomuchgame441 Android Expert
    None

Oct 24, 2009
    I found a good Gingerbread keyboard in the market but I'm running a 2.2 build from my SD card so I don't know if it will show up on Android 2.1