1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root New Rooter?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by hemi_0539, Mar 27, 2011.

1. hemi_0539

hemi_0539 Lurker
    None

Mar 27, 2011
    New to Android, running 2.2, kernel 2.6.32.9. Just swapped from a iphone for a few years to Android. A guy at work mentioned rooting, so i've looked around, but still have a few questions. I have jailbroken my last iphone several times so i'm familiar with that process. My main reason to root now is to remove those annoying ATT pre-loaded programs that i will never use.

Found something online for a "one button click" root program for my Captivate. Was wondering if this is a viable option to root. If i do this will this load the current firmware with access to the root system, or for lack of better terms, factory restore the phone with root access? I dont mind that since i have all my items stored on my SD card.

In reference to the iphone process, does the Android OS validate the firmware version during the recovery process or just does it install it? I know i had issues with iOS because i would have to use a earlier version since Cydia didnt have my "shsh" on file.

Also is the process reversible, again, (sorry for all the iOS refernces...) but i was always confident that i can recover from a failed jailbreak and it would work fine. I'm afraid with the captivate that i might brick it.

Last question, i would like to remove all the ATT apps, but i read online a few different references and most of them ran several commands, was wondering if there is a package or script to do that. I am comfortable with command line in OS X & Linux, but since i'm new to this device, thought it might help me get use to it. Thanks.

Advertisement

2. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Android Expert
    None

Jul 13, 2010
    Root simply gives you super user access to the android OS, a bit like admin mode on a PC. Super One Click should work on most Captivate firmware.

Rooting will not perform a factory reset. It simply allows you to access super user commands and install a admin app called SuperUser. This app controls which other apps have access to root commands.

The process is completely reversible. Flashing a new rom or updating the firmware will also unroot the phone as a side effect.

A factory reset simply deletes all the app data and 3rd party apps. There are two kind of apps on your phone - protected apps called system apps, and normal non-protected apps. A factory reset will not touch the system apps, but neither will it restore any deleted system apps. So be careful about that.

To delete system apps you can either do it on a computer using adb, or you can just use apps like titanium backup or root explorer.