• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root New S-OFF Method Released -- Sunshine

Rxpert83

Dr. Feelgood
Aug 30, 2011
MN
Heya M8's :D

It looks like JustinCase et al have been hard at work again and have created a new S-oFF method for HTC devices called SunShine.

TheRoot Ninja - SunShine HTC Bootloader Unlock / S-Off

Video Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1CM4jxm28U

However, this time things are a bit different - it costs $25 per device.
What makes SunShine the start of a new era?

Simply put, it isn't free. SunShine is the cumulation of years of research, hundreds of hours of development, the sacrifice of many devices (R.I.P. bricked test phones), and the blood, sweat and tears of multiple developers. Just like how a mechanic charges money for his time souping up your car, the only feasible way to devote the time and energy to this is to charge for it. The income from SunShine allows us to recoup the time lost from other projects, to invest more time into research and development of new solutions, purchase new test hardware, and to allow us to enjoy a few bottles of wine at the end of a hard week.

Well crud, how much are you asking for?

The initial price of SunShine is set at $25.00usd per device, payable via paypal or credit-card from within the application itself. Our hopes are that SunShine is successful enough to allow us to find or purchase vulnerabilities, and to develop future solutions at lower prices. If you want to see additional payment options become available, let us know in support!

I'd be curious in how this compares to firewater - current device owners - I assume that method has been patched?

Edit: Also, it looks like this is just an app - no computer required

Welcome to S-off club Gentlemen! :D

Now go get rid of all that red splash screen text and get your bootloader flash on!! :p

Done and done, no red text, no tampered. Custom up/down animation. Thank you and glad to be here. Ridiculous (and maybe slightly disturbing to the unrooted masses) how much more I love my phone now!

Welcome to the side of truth and justice - welcome to the dark side! :)

Thank you sir. I had flashed the DarkOne theme, so there was some dark in me already! :)

Cap'n Throwback posted somewhere he was able to redeem the Google Drive offer by relocking bootloader with the fastboot flag commands, gonna have to give that a try. HK mod and that Viper4Android thing as well. I've forgotten half the things I wanted to do while waiting for the new exploit.

Upvote 0
Just my luck. Firewater nor SunShine will work on my M8 lol. :( :( :(

Did you try on a stock rom?

Make sure if you have any build.prop edits, you revert them back to stock. Sunshine performs tests to see if your phone is compatible, and it reads the build.prop amungst other things.

Try it from Stock rooted, and it should work. Also post in the XDA thread whats going on. Jcase is pretty good at looking into issues.:)

Upvote 0
What happened w/SunShine? :questionmark:

It worked on my T-Mo M8,that's why I'm curious.

Loaded using stock browser & Ran/PayPalled when prompted/Re-started & Ran again,re-booted just like in the OP video.

Hopefully we can figure out what went wrong. :)

Did you try on a stock rom?

Make sure if you have any build.prop edits, you revert them back to stock. Sunshine performs tests to see if your phone is compatible, and it reads the build.prop amungst other things.

Try it from Stock rooted, and it should work. Also post in the XDA thread whats going on. Jcase is pretty good at looking into issues.:)

I figured out why I was having trouble. Even though I had nuked and restored back to stock, it didn't properly wipe my boot.img (surprisingly rare). Flashed the stock boot.img and everything was hunky dory.

Upvote 0
Disclosure: I'm one of the devs behind the SunShine release.

Just my luck. Firewater nor SunShine will work on my M8 lol. :( :( :(

It currently works on all m8s, check your firmware. If it isn't stock then problems may occur.

:mad:

Are you still out $25? :(

Nope, not if it didn't work, he can just contact us for a refund (we of course will verify it on the device, and invalidate the license).

Upvote 0
Disclosure: I'm one of the devs behind the SunShine release.

It currently works on all m8s, check your firmware. If it isn't stock then problems may occur.

Nope, not if it didn't work, he can just contact us for a refund (we of course will verify it on the device, and invalidate the license).

Good on you and thanks for the solution.

Btw - NYC identified his tangle and has s-off.

Nothing improper implied - sometimes chaos happens with a new way of doing things, happy my question was unfounded! :)

Upvote 0
SunShine is a utility that allows you to s-off and bootloader unlock modern HTC devices, giving you more freedom than any HTC developer phone would allow.

Am I reading this part right? It is not crystal clear.
Does SunShine skip the previously requisite step of unlocking the bootloader via HTCDev? SunShine is more like a one-click solution, just with the added cost?

I've been sleeping on rooting my M8, trying to avoid utilizing the HTC Dev unlock. I grudgingly set up an account at HTCDev yesterday, but didn't start the process yet.

Upvote 0
Am I reading this part right? It is not crystal clear.
Does SunShine skip the previously requisite step of unlocking the bootloader via HTCDev? SunShine is more like a one-click solution, just with the added cost?

I've been sleeping on rooting my M8, trying to avoid utilizing the HTC Dev unlock. I grudgingly set up an account at HTCDev yesterday, but didn't start the process yet.

sunshine now works with a temp root called "towelroot", so as long as that works on your device,then you can skip htcdev all together.

Upvote 0
sunshine now works with a temp root called "towelroot", so as long as that works on your device,then you can skip htcdev all together.

I wasn't able to get towelroot to work on my at&t HTC One M8. I followed the steps and one I clicked "make it ra1n" it told me that the root was successful but once I downloaded superSU and tried to run it SuperSu told me the binary's were out of date and it wasn't able to update it manually.

I too am trying to get my bootloader unlocked without going through that htc dev account unlock. Weaksauce also doesn't work since I stupidly accepted at&t's latest OTA update without reading up on the forums. I just want to use my favorite apps while preventing them from data mining me! Hopefully the root methods are updated to work with the latest updates soon.

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones