1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support New S2 - Choppy Flash video.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by late8, Jan 6, 2012.

1. late8

late8 Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 6, 2012
    Hi I have just got my new S2 - great phone but flash is a issue.

Firstly is YouTube HTML5 ? - because that plays fine- even 1080p. However I have a BBC iPlayer app which uses flash and its terrible.

The same can be said for sites using flash video too like failblogg (?) for example and a few others.

Playback is very choppy and the video quality is jagged and rough.

I tested on my home WiFi at 8Mbps streaming speed and still the same. I updated to Flash 11 and use both the stock and dolphin HD browser.

I guess my handset is up to date because there are no firmware updates available.

Can anyone help??:thinking:

Advertisement

2. nhradiotech

nhradiotech Newbie
    None

Mar 1, 2011
    I just tried this with my phone. I put it side by side with my laptop on the best of 2011 video on failblog. Using the dolphin hd browser my phone and my laptop looked identical. I have had choppiness issues with my phone when it had a ton of stuff running in the background. A reboot and its all set. Not saying its the same as your problem though. Just thought Id post my $.02.

3. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Android Expert
    None

Jul 28, 2010
    student
    north alabama
    youtube is flash also. your problem is going to be with the app, well the developer, because it must be a poorly optimized app

4. werds

werds Newbie
    None

Dec 21, 2011
    Yea i get crappy flash videos that are choppy or stall out when I watch espn. Even with the most updated adobe flash. So I kinda just gave up on watching videos on the phone till I can something that works on it better.

5. late8

late8 Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 6, 2012
    OK this flash issue isn't going away.

If YouTube is flash and not HTML5 then its great however other sites including BBC iPlayer are bad. Why would there be a difference?

The only way I can describe it is the S2 seems to be struggling to play the video and has dropped everything off low... (even with low quality video setting)

If you play flash on your PC and disable "HARDWARE ACCELERATION" in the settings the picture quality is similar on the S2 - very jagged and pixel looking. Text is a good indicator.
    However on the S2 I also get choppy / judder playback added to that making it unmatchable.

I don't understand why some phones are doing this and others are "so called" smooth I have also found videos on FailBlog and Metacafe to judder - but others to be fine.

Have also noticed the Status bar at the top never goes away on full screen flash (apart from YouTube and sites that work like Metacafe) Is that right?

This is via landline WiFi at 8Mbps connection with a WiFi link to the phone of 50Mbps - internet speed test 4 ~ 7 Mbps.