1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

New S3, 1 week later out of the box

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Mark16q, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Mark16q

Mark16q Member

Hello S3 forum,

I'm new to this group, but have been on this board with an Eris and Dinc2. Decided it was time for a new toy, so purchased an S3 for myself and my son last week. These are certified from VZW so I didn't lose my unlimited everything contract.

Out of the box, booted up and almost immediately downloaded the JB update without hesitation. So I never got to use the phone with ICS, but didn't really mind so let it go. It updated fairly quickly, connected to the Play Store to download my purchased apps and was up and running. Plugged in my 8 gig card from Dinc2 and didn't require reformat, so all pics came in clean.

On 4g getting consistently 26mbps up and down at my house and local area :) But I have faster wifi in my house, so most work done on wifi. Apps download and install almost immediately, a nice improvement over dinc2.

The big concern, battery life, is pretty good so far. First charge barely made it through a day. 2nd day, disabled various meaningless vzw apps, but was still showing something keeping it awake. Turns out weather channel widget was killing the battery, so got rid of it. Now easily making it from 6 a.m. to midnight with 20-30% left normal use, all radios on with googlenow running. Better than my dinc was getting so very pleased.

Hate the standard keyboard so installed the jelly bean and much happier. The predictive text actually predicts and I can type fairly quickly. Will play with others, but happy with the JB keyboard for now.

Otherwise, it's a nice phone, the size isn't an issue as it's so thin, and very happy with the weight. The indicator light is great, and my iphone user friends are jealous of that feature. Can't believe iphones don't have an led indicator. Also, doesn't get as hot as my prior droids, which surprised me.

My only complaint, and it's not a big deal, would be placement of the volume keys opposite of the power button. I can't hit one without hitting the other and need to figure out a different way to hold the phone. Not a big deal, but is annoying at time.

Anyways, if you're on the fence with this phone, I can heartily recommend it coming from a last generation phone. The extra speed, battery life and more powerful o.s. are nice, and the form factor is surprisingly nice as well. I've ordered a standard slim cover as well as the Samsung flip cover to see what I like better, but now cautiously using it naked.

Thanks to many of the posters here for some great tips that helped get me going on this phone so quickly. Great info here.

Mark

Mikestony likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±
    VIP Member

Nice review Mark! Glad you like the phone! I also just got mine about 3 days ago and I like it! I have already rooted it and looking for a nice rom for it.

I do have one issue and have found others here and there have it too, for the past 2 nights after about 4-5 hours on the charger, I am awoken to the phone beeping at me and will continue to beep until I unplug it. Very annoying and haven't found the answer for it.
    Some say to turn down the volume, but I can't miss calls (on call at night). And some say use a different wall charger. I have, both the one that came with it and the one I had from my Evo.

I'll figure something out I suppose. But like you, am overall very pleased with it:)

3. davidmanvell

davidmanvell Android Enthusiast

Battery life will improve after about a week. In the background the phone is doing all sorts of stuff since it is newly installed. It will calm down a bit and get even better. this phone has very good battery life. If you want to try a decent keyboard I can recommend Swiftkey. Works really well.

Glad you like the phone. Keep us posted!

4. dan330

dan330 Extreme Android User

Nice review.. Glad you like it

I had the same issue with the buttons too. Silly placement.

But I am using a slim cover.. It adds a layer around the buttons... It helps to fix this issue

5. Mark16q

Mark16q Member

Haven't had this happen, using the supplied charger. To the best of my knowledge, all sounds are on and it hasn't beeped at me in them middle of the night. Phones waking me in the middle of the night don't make me happy, hope this doesn't happen.

6. joe71

joe71 Android Expert

My favorite feature is the camera, I like how you are able to take pictures in a variety of enviroments.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews