1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

new S5 overheating

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by android889, Oct 6, 2014.

1. android889

android889 Newbie

I bought my S5 few days ago and it's already overheating
    I barley downloaded any apps and it even heats up when it's on airplane mode during the night I wake up and it's very Hot. (70 C)
    Is that even close to normal? should I ask for a replacement? what if the store refused?
    please help

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. acraftylady

acraftylady Android Enthusiast

If it's brand new why would the store refuse if it's a defective phone? Mine doesn't get hot at all that I notice but I have an otterbox case on mine but I didn't have a case the first 2 weeks and my phone did not get hot. Couldn't hurt to have the store look at it and see if something is wrong and I would think if so they would replace it since it's only a few days old. I got mine at a cooperate Verizon store so that's who I deal with when I have phone problems. Mary

3. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Extreme Android User

I surmise that there is a rogue app causing the cpu to work over time.

A few weeks ago, there was a report of a camera.daemon app that gets activated and then it won't shut off like it is supposed to.

Regardless, you should not have to be the one to debug the phone. Take it back and ask them to either fix it, or replace it with a new one. Not a refurbished unit..... no no no, you bought new, you deserve new.

4. acraftylady

That's right, since it's only a few days old you should get a brand new one from the store so I would take it in as soon as you can. Mary

5. android889

android889 Newbie

thank you for replying:)
    I took it to the store and they replaced it.

6. Drunder40

Drunder40 Well-Known Member

With Verizon (not sure about other carriers), they will not guarantee a "brand new" phone. If you got the insurance, it specifically says new or refurbished.. You have no say in the matter. 99% of the time it is refurbished. If they just gave out brand new phones, they would get a stock pile of returned phones and that is a total loss to them per phone.

Unfortunately with refurbs, you are more times than not going to inherit a new
    problem.. I agree if I bought a brand new phone (original owner) I should get the same if phone #1 is returned. It just doesn't usually work out that way.

7. acraftylady

But if you only had it a few days on verizon and it's defective they will give a new one but after 2 weeks I think with no insurance it's under the 1yr warranty but you would get refurbished. My son had a non smart phone e o verizon die at 9 months so wad covered under the 1yr warranty and they replaced with a refurbished and when it came we got instructions on shipping the defective one back. Mary

Samsung Galaxy S5 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S5 release date was April 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.1" inch screen, 16MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon 801 processor, and 2800mAh battery.

April 2014
Release Date
Reviews