1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

(New) Samsung Galaxy S4 problem!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by AndroidUser75, Oct 27, 2014.

1. AndroidUser75

AndroidUser75 Lurker

Hello everyone! I am new to the Android forums! I am having a huge concern with my brand new Galaxy S4 which I bought 2 days ago from T- Mobile. From my experience with new smart phones, I don't think my phone should have ANY lag at all. I am experiencing a little bit of lag every once in a while. Little meaning little lags that last barely a tenth of a second. I only downloaded a few apps and installed a backup app called Helium from Google Play to transfer my data from my old LG Motion 4G phone to my new Galaxy S4. I only used up 3 GB in total for all the apps I have now. Oh, and when I try to add a lock to my phone, I accidentally encrypted my phone and it the process of encrypting it, I disrupted it and it reseted my entire phone. It deleted every data like a Factory reset. After that I downloaded the apps again and backed them up. Now I'm having glitchy lags that happens once in a while that makes transition effects lag a little, makes games lag a little, makes typing in text from keyboard lag as well. Can anyone help me figure out the source of this lag? I have a 14 day return policy so I want to make sure I have a well functioning S4 phone. Thanks!:)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. johnny_w

johnny_w Well-Known Member

You say in your description "Like a factory reset". I'd suggest you actually do a factory reset. You have everything backed up so you have nothing to lose.

3. AndroidUser75

AndroidUser75 Lurker

That wasn't my question. My question was if you have any idea where the source of the lag could be from? Idk if it's the 4.4.4 Kitkat update that a lot of people are having issues with.

4. johnny_w

Maybe I wasn't clear. I was saying perhaps your lag issue has something to do with your half encrypted semi factory reset. Perhaps a file or cache is having issues or is corrupted. Perhaps a real factory reset might help. Could it be that your lag was caused by your encryption attempt/bail? If you have nothing to lose, why not try a real factory reset so you are starting from a known good point?

5. itsallgood

itsallgood Android Expert

Totally agree. Do a factory reset and see if that helps.

6. Mr. Lucky

Mr. Lucky Android Expert

I also agree about doing the factory data reset. However, there is one specific lag that even it will not fix - the slight lag when you press the Home key. That's because the phone is configured by default to activate S Voice upon double tapping the Home key. IOW, every time you single tap, it pauses to see if a second tap is coming. This "feature" can easily be disabled in the S Voice settings.

7. AndroidUser75

AndroidUser75 Lurker

Hello! Sorry if I am replying to this post a week later but I already performed a factory reset and also found out about the system's RAM cleaner and task manager. I closed as many background apps as possible and still my games are lagging but only a little. I even turned off GPS or locator and still there is lag when I swype or play games. I clear cache too but not a difference. I don't think new phones are suppose to lag at all! Do you think that 4.4.4 Kitkat may be the reason for the lag and also the poor response of the keyboard? I read reviews everywhere that the new update made the phones lag, drain the battery quicker, and also poor response of the keyboard too. I am about to return my phone for a new phone of the same( Galaxy S4). I don't know for sure if my phone has something wrong with it. Please inform me with as much info of the Galaxy S4 and what's actually happening because I don't know too much about smartphones aside from putting a password and managing memory. Thank you!

8. AndroidUser75

AndroidUser75 Lurker

Hello! Sorry if I am replying to this post a week later but I already performed a factory reset and also found out about the system's RAM cleaner and task manager. I closed as many background apps as possible and still my games are lagging but only a little. I even turned off GPS or locator and still there is lag when I swype or play games. I clear cache too but not a difference. I don't think new phones are suppose to lag at all! Do you think that 4.4.4 Kitkat may be the reason for the lag and also the poor response of the keyboard? I read reviews everywhere that the new update made the phones lag, drain the battery quicker, and also poor response of the keyboard too. I am about to return my phone for a new phone of the same( Galaxy S4). I don't know for sure if my phone has something wrong with it. Please inform me with as much info of the Galaxy S4 and what's actually happening because I don't know too much about smartphones aside from putting a password and managing memory. Thank you!

9. johnny_w

I can't speak to 4.4.4 causing lag issues because I'm rooted and blocked the update to avoid issues.
    What I can tell you is that there is a lot of debate when it comes to task killers. The predominant argument seems to be that android os being run on a Linux kernel is very good at memory management. It will load programs it thinks you might want or need to make starting them faster but if you're running low on memory it is very good at stopping them to free up space. By running a task killer you are stopping those apps and leaving a lot of open space. Your Android sees that and restarts those apps it thinks you might want again. This restarting slows your phone more than just leaving them running. There are some apps that freeze apps not letting them be loaded in the first place. Greenify is one of these. I use it but mostly in hopes of extending battery life.
    I agree your phone shouldn't have lag, it's very annoying.
    Hope I've helped and good luck solving your lag issues.

Samsung Galaxy S4 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S4 release date was April 2013. Features and Specs include a 5.0" inch screen, 13MP camera, 2GB RAM, Exynos 5410 Octa processor, and 2600mAh battery.

April 2013
Release Date
Reviews