• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help New Samsung Galaxy SIII - 70% fail

rEvo Lver

Jan 21, 2011
Having major problems with this phone. 70% of the time when I call people they cannot hear me at all - or I cannot hear THEM!

Phone rings/answers and all seems fine - but on one end or the other, the audio is dead most of the time. Yesterday I had someone call me - and she couldn't hear me. she tried again, she couldn't hear me. I redialed and she could hear me but I couldn't hear her! We ended up having to text.

Signal strength is going between 91dBm down to 85, up to 95.

We just switched from Sprint to AT&T due to Sprint having terrible coverage in an area where we will be moving in another month or two (Bradenton, FL).

I used HTC EVO4G for the last 2 years on Sprint and never once had reception issues. Then upgraded to iPhone 5 on Sprint which was awesome - but Sprint wasn't going to work out for us in the long term (coverage issues). All that AT&T had that was supposedly "good" was this Samsung - they are 4-6 weeks backordered on iPhone 5s.

Hating the Galaxy SIII right now - it's just doesn't even do basic phone service well at all compared to iPhone or even my old HTC EVO4G. And forgetting all the other stuff - isn't that what these things are supposed to do as their primary function?

I was kind of going back and forth with my carrier about signal strength but only as it applies to data. Phone calls were just fine. It was just an odd thing and I'm still not totally convinced about it all. They tell me that samsung has indicated that in a small percentage of the S3s, there is some kind of manufacturers defect so they want to swap mine. I told them fine but I will try the "new" one and if it isn't any better, they'll be getting that one back. I'm not keeping a refurbished one that doesn't work any better when I can keep my own. Other than this data issue, I really do like the phone a lot.

Upvote 0
I was kind of going back and forth with my carrier about signal strength but only as it applies to data. Phone calls were just fine. It was just an odd thing and I'm still not totally convinced about it all. They tell me that samsung has indicated that in a small percentage of the S3s, there is some kind of manufacturers defect so they want to swap mine. I told them fine but I will try the "new" one and if it isn't any better, they'll be getting that one back. I'm not keeping a refurbished one that doesn't work any better when I can keep my own. Other than this data issue, I really do like the phone a lot.

True- data would be a separate issue...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones