• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help New Samsung moment and Droid user having some issues

glennb

Lurker
Aug 30, 2010
I have had my Moment since Saturday have had to reset it to factory twice due to when I log in to my GMail account all my contacts change to voice when I change them back to mobile it just reverts back to voice so when I open messaging I type a name and it comes up and I can choose that contact to send a message it doesn't work because the contact is set to voice and I cant change it, unless this is by design. Also after the GMail log in when I try to add a contact from the contact shortcut it doesn't save, and when I connect it to my Windows 7 64Bit laptop it shows up sometimes, but I cant do anything like access the SD card or tether it are these features disabled or not available on this phone ARRGH, anyone know what I can do about these issues, maybe bring the phone back under the 30 days and get a different phone considering Sprint will not support an upgrade to Android 2.2 on the Moment, any one have a suggestion I just moved to Sprint from AT&T shoulda done my research my bad, glad I'm out of AT&T though.....

Thanks.

Sorry you're having that issue. I can't really help you other than to say that all of the issues that I had with my Moment went away when I rooted it and fixed it up myself. The SDX guys are incredible.
I was thinking of going to AT&T, why happy if I may ask?
Off topic but curious. I was thinking of getting it as well as my Sprint.

Reactions: glennb
Upvote 0
I'm confused about the change to voice thing? When you type in a name in messaging, you should get a choice of numbers for that contact. Choose the mobile number. For your connection problems, try turning off usb debugging (on your phone- menu> settings > applications > development > un check usb debugging).

Tethering is not supported by the official rom. You can add wired tethering via a app like PDAnet or take it to the next level by rooting the phone and installing wireless hot spot tethering.
http://androidforums.com/moment-all-things-root/163034-simple-root-instructions.html
Samsung Moment 2.1 Rooting Video Tutorial Complete Walkthrough
[HOW TO] DE03 - Instructions for Flash, Recovery, Root, Custom Patch

Now, as to your choice of phone. The Moment is EOL (end of life) and there won't be any official development for the phone. It's replaced in the Sprint lineup by the Intercept which is generally accepted as inferior to the Moment. The Evo and Epic are the top line phones that offer more power, features and upside. The downside is cost, the Evo and especially Epic will cost significantly more and come with an additional 4g "tax" of $10/mo. You will have to pay the 4g tax whether you live/work/travel in a 4g area or not. That extra $10 also takes a large part of the price advantage that Sprint had over the other carriers away. The 4g tax is the main reason I'm sticking with the Moment right now (no 4g here yet!). If it stands, it will also make me look very hard at TMobile whose HSPDA+ is significantly faster than Sprints current Wimax speeds and much cheaper, when our contract expires.

Upvote 0
USB debugging is off, the issue with the contacts switching to phone type voice and not being able to change them to mobile I imagine is linked to the sync with GMail and Google voice, as far as AT&T there Android line is locked for 3rd party apps so you can only get apps from the Android market, as far as connecting it to my laptop I should be able to access the phone as a storage device is there a USB driver that is compatible with W7 64Bit or does Sprint not allow access to the phone via USB.?

Upvote 0
i connect my moment to my a pc regularly, no problem if usb debugging is off, you have taken one stop. when the phone is connected you have to tell it to mount the SD card. at the top of your moment screen is an alert area that pulls down to display messages. one will be that your phone is connected to a pc; hit mount if you want to access the SD card. once it is mounted, you will only be able to access the SD card with the PC. create whatever directories you want, and copy any files you want in there, such as .CSV files if you are moving from palm memos. unmount the SD card, and remove the USB cable.

i may have left out some initial step in the setup here, i first did this months ago. I DO know that samsung has a USB driver, but I`m not sure it's needed. Telling the phone to mount the SD card is the most important step, as i remember it.

Upvote 0
That's kewl thanks Lance got that done, I dont use GMail as my primary email but if I want to access the market I will have to log in to Gmail which again changes all my contacts to voice, not that I can't just go the contacts and touch the message shortcut icon I guess , does rooting void the warranty I would imagine not because its the Android OS not not Sprint or Samsung firmware, and why even if you set orientation to change automatically it doesn't change when I flip the phone what is that.?

Upvote 0
That's kewl thanks Lance got that done, I dont use GMail as my primary email but if I want to access the market I will have to log in to Gmail which again changes all my contacts to voice, not that I can't just go the contacts and touch the message shortcut icon I guess , does rooting void the warranty I would imagine not because its the Android OS not not Sprint or Samsung firmware, and why even if you set orientation to change automatically it doesn't change when I flip the phone what is that.?

I don't understand what you mean by "changing the contacts to voice". Voice? Do you mean Google Voice? Or have you created a custom label called Voice?

What happens when you log into your Gmail account on the computer, change the phone type to mobile and then sync the phone?

Upvote 0
Coming up on my 30 days should I get go back to the Sprint store and get the Epic and return the Moment, has been working okay for me, that is the question, 4G, 4G tax, 4G is in Boston now, coming to western mass soon I would imagine, is it all worth it or should I keep the Moment and root it until I know 4G is coming for sure and wait the 2 yrs hmmm.?

Upvote 0
What I did was save my contacts to my SD card and when I logged in to GMail it synced with my contacts there and changed them to Voice contacts (Google Voice), what I did was change all contacts that are mobile to mobile and then saved them to my SD card and reset the phone to factory, then what I did was logged on to Gmail synced up and then imported my contacts from the SD as Mobile and they stayed as mobile so when I went to messaging typed in the the to field it will now come up with the contact based on the contacts name, it wouldn't do that before because they would all get set to voice because of google voice sync and only mobile numbers will come up in the to field in messaging when you type in the to field. WHEW hope that clears it up.

Upvote 0
All the 4g questions etc, I was just at a meeting (I work for Sprint) and they told us that they HOPE to have 4g out and working by the END of the year, which IMO is silly, more so with this whole 4g "tax" etc....I still have the moment and would love the EVO, but I am having a hard time with the extra 10 bucks a month for something that isn't even working yet, they may say it is but trust me, it isn't.....but at the end of the day it is all personal preference I guess, you have to be happy with the handset you are using so...

Upvote 0
Am clueless when it comes to most of your questions but I did have the same problem when trying to add contacts.. fixed it by going to the menu while in contacts, selecting "display options", pressing on my gmail account, I found it expanded the menu under the account showing options.. found that mine was originally set to only show imported contacts. I put checks in all the other boxes and that did it. Every contact I had tried to add now shows and I have had no more problems with that.

Upvote 0
Am clueless when it comes to most of your questions but I did have the same problem when trying to add contacts.. fixed it by going to the menu while in contacts, selecting "display options", pressing on my gmail account, I found it expanded the menu under the account showing options.. found that mine was originally set to only show imported contacts. I put checks in all the other boxes and that did it. Every contact I had tried to add now shows and I have had no more problems with that.
You don't have a clue about the questions but brother you got the right answers because my phones saving contacts like it should now... Good job mate...CHEERS!:)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones