1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support New scam threat - need help

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by bobolina, May 2, 2012.

1. bobolina

bobolina Lurker
    None

May 2, 2012
    Hi all,

I'm new here and I didn't know where to post this so I thought I'd put this in the lounge.

I have a Samsung Galaxy GT-I9000, firmware version 2.2 building number FROYO.BOJPB Kernel Version 2.6.32.9

I recently came across a scam text which appeared on my mobile which I duly opened to see who it was.

I saw that it was a spam text and was about to delete when it automatically open it, opened the keypad and tried to reply to itself.

First thing I thought was I'd pressed too many buttons, so I hit the back key numerous times. This took me back to my main screen but automatically the message reopened, brought up the keypad and tried to reply to itself again.

Instantly I turned off the phone.

Upon restart I turned all communications (flight mode) and deleted it as quickly as possible.

This seems to have solved the problem for now.

As I saw no threads while searching online, I thought I'd post here to see if people had had similar scams/viruses etc as it's really worrying if a text can come through and auto reply itself.

Thank you for your time,

A concerned Galaxy user.

Advertisement

2. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Extreme Android User
    None

Aug 5, 2010
    Male
    PA
    Never heard of that, and as far as I know it is not possible for texts to auto send, unless you have a program installed that responds to text commands (like most antivirus/find my droid apps). And even then it's usually done in the background, and the info is not sent through the text system because the keyboard requires physical interaction to work.

I would just download an antivirus app (lookout, AVG etc) and scan your phone.

3. bobolina

bobolina Lurker
    None

May 2, 2012
    Thanks for that. I also thought the same but to watch it doing it repeatedly really made me worry.

Like I said above, at first I thought I'd accidentally pressed too many keys but to watch it jump back repeatedly to the same text, call up the touch screen keyboard and type was incredibly scary.

I deleted the text but is there anyway to get it back so I can at least maybe type it up here to alert other people?

4. DonB

DonB ♡ Truth, Justice and the American Way !! ♡ ™

Nov 30, 2009
    Male
    18th Hole Of the Golf Course
    Are there any apps that you recently downloaded, I would start there, sometimes some of these apps have added features, for instance i had an app that would pop up a call log that said i missed a call and allowed me to call that number. You would never know it came from that app unless you checked the settings in that app. Now auto texting is alarming so I would definitely scan my phone as SD had said, then I would back track from there

5. bobolina

bobolina Lurker
    None

May 2, 2012
    Agreed.

I'm running Lookout on the phone, scanned post virus/auto texter (nothing detected) and have uninstalled any dodgy game apps. I regularly check the settings before installing a game as I'm very much concerned about privacy.

Too many damn programs asked for too much information so I don't have that many installed.

Let's hope this solves the problem.

Thanks for your help.

Bob

6. Rush

Rush {<>}~{<>}

Jan 31, 2011
    Male
    Entrepreneur / Business Owner - Freelance Writer
    Loganville, GA
    <Thread moved> :)