• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New screens for the Desire

MonzaDave

Lurker
Jul 21, 2010
First post! Woo.

So I went down to Vodafone earlier to chase up my upgrade to a Desire and the lady in there said there was a massive stock shortage across the country :mad: Stop buying Desires people, I want mine! lol. She said the main cause of the shortage, apart from demand, was that HTC are currently replacing a part all on Desires that are manufactured recently. Something to do with production and running out of those parts so they have switched supplier.

So I head back work feeling downcast after being told to expect a further 3 week wait and thought i'd go do some google searches about this new "part".

Lo and behold, plastered across Google, is the announcement that HTC have ditched the Samsung AMOLED screens and are currently replacing them with Sony Super LCD screens. The first thing I noticed, according to the blogs, is that there is quite a difference in resolution. AMOLED's 640x480 compared to the Sony 800x480.

Dunno how I missed the big announcement to be honest :thinking:. Anyone with knowledge able to comment on this? Amittedly, as the average consumer, the Sony Super LCD screens sound good; but are they really that superior over the Samsung screens?

I'm gonna be pissed if this new screen will be better than AMOLED. Do yall think that if indeed the new screen is better than the old one will it be possible to get it installed by HTC?

If I remember correctly, wasn't it the case that samsung were refusing to sell their AMOLDED screens to other companies as they wanted the materials for themselves. So, rather than ditching them, HTC have had to source new materials.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones