• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help New SD card - just transfer from old card?

Bearly

Android Expert
Apr 12, 2010
I searched the Incredible forums and sub forums and could not find an answer to this question, though I am sure it has been asked:

If I want to go from my stock 2 GB card to a new card, and I want to preserve data AND have all apps still be able to read whatever data they were reading off the card, do I just transfer the files from one card to the other?

I bet the only thing I need to make sure of is that new card is formatted with the same file system as the original card, right?

I know copying data from one card to the other will preserve data, but I want to make sure I have no problems with apps, either, after inserting the newer card.

Thanks in advance.

I have yet to try and copy the files, but i'm going from an 8gb to a 16gb card. I plan on copy and pasting later today when I get home from work. I hope it goes as planned.

I went from the stock 2GB card to a 4GB I had around and I just copied everything on the old card to the new one at one time. Everything worked fine, except my ringtones were messed up. Funny thing too, I use ringtones from "my music" and they were all just one song off after I switched cards. No biggie, but very strange, like the "address" to the songs got messed up.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones