• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help New SD card not working, now old one is not working...Help!!!

I just upgraded from my original 8 gb micro SD card to a 16 gb from Best Buy. I put my new card in my phone. I copied all the files from my original card onto my new one using my laptop. My new card wasn't recognized at all on my phone when I check my SD card in settings and I can't move anything to it. I tried popping the original card back in and now it's not recognized either. When open a folder to view files on my laptop the files are identical in each card. I got a PNY class 10 16 gb micro SD. I need help!!! :thinking:

I just upgraded from my original 8 gb micro SD card to a 16 gb from Best Buy. I put my new card in my phone. I copied all the files from my original card onto my new one using my laptop. My new card wasn't recognized at all on my phone when I check my SD card in settings and I can't move anything to it. I tried popping the original card back in and now it's not recognized either. When open a folder to view files on my laptop the files are identical in each card. I got a PNY class 10 16 gb micro SD. I need help!!! :thinking:

welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!
are you unmounting the card before removing it? also are you mounting the card when you put one in? settings/sd storage and mount/unmount card.

Upvote 0
I have the same problem! I literally watched my phone yesterday act like an update was pushed to it. It rebooted itself and then said SD card blank or has unsupported files. I have looked everywhere on the web and found that several ppl are having this same issue. The phone HTC evo 4g now wont recognize any SD card!!!!
Is there a known fix to this? I have a 8gb card and tried another 8,2,4 cards all not readable. Try to format and mount doesn't work. Just says blank or unsupported files.
:mad:

Upvote 0
I have the same problem! I literally watched my phone yesterday act like an update was pushed to it. It rebooted itself and then said SD card blank or has unsupported files. I have looked everywhere on the web and found that several ppl are having this same issue. The phone HTC evo 4g now wont recognize any SD card!!!!
Is there a known fix to this? I have a 8gb card and tried another 8,2,4 cards all not readable. Try to format and mount doesn't work. Just says blank or unsupported files.
:mad:

not the first time i have seen people get the latest OTA and have a sever problem with SDCARD. The update was only supposed to be a security update however, it seems it breaks something along the way. I do not know the solution to fix this issue. I would recommend contacting Sprint / HTC and see what they advise.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
curious on the waiting for 45 minutes part. why the wait?

I'm with you on this!

I am thinking that because the phone is in stock state that when you just pull the sdcard the phone is not properly unmounting / mounting. It probably has to do with the fact that the phone is seeing two mounts and its not supported. I know you have to pull the battery so it should be turning off unless they had it plugged in to the usb.

Upvote 0
Apologies for dragging this back up again but I am looking for advice on upgrading sd cards. I am changing from 8Gb to a 16Gb card.

Can I presume that I can just copy all the data on my existing SD card onto my PC, then copy across to the new 16Gb card, then mount the new card and everything should work exactly the same as advertised?

I have an HTC desire but I assume that makes no difference...?

Upvote 0
Apologies for dragging this back up again but I am looking for advice on upgrading sd cards. I am changing from 8Gb to a 16Gb card.

Can I presume that I can just copy all the data on my existing SD card onto my PC, then copy across to the new 16Gb card, then mount the new card and everything should work exactly the same as advertised?

I have an HTC desire but I assume that makes no difference...?

No it doesn't make a difference what phone you're on, you're good to go. :)

I do exactly what you described every so often to be sure I have all my sd card contents backed up. You can swap the contents like you described above it'll work fine. :)

Reactions: PaddyC
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones