1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support new sd card

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by nupe88, Jul 15, 2016.

1. nupe88

nupe88 Lurker
    None

Jul 15, 2016
    I recently bought a 64gbs sandisk sd card for my Samsung Galaxy 5. I put it in, formated it. Backed up my files first. I moved a file or picture to the SD card. It was there, great. Then, I deleted the file from my device because I needed the room. Went back in the sd card it was deleted too. Keeps doing it, I rebooted the phone. Took out the sd card, reinsurted it. Still the same.

Advertisement

2. nupe88

nupe88 Lurker
    None

Jul 15, 2016
  3. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Did you test the card before using it? There are a lot of "fake" cards out there, and the usual advice is to only buy from known, reputable retailers (and never anyone selling from eBay), but even then fakes sometimes get into their supply chains. Usually those things allow you to put a small amount of data on (say a GB or 2) before you start suffering data corruption (because they are really small capacity hards hacked to look like big ones), but if a new card is misbehaving then testing the card is both what it claims to be and is working properly is the first thing I'd do.

If you have a windows PC and a card reader you can use an app called h2testw to check the card's real capacity. An Android app called "SD Insight" can be useful.

It's certainly worth testing the card with a computer and a card reader, just to see whether it works in a different device.

4. nupe88

nupe88 Lurker
    None

Jul 15, 2016
    I downloaded the sd card insight

Attached Files:

5. nupe88

nupe88 Lurker
    None

Jul 15, 2016

6. nupe88

nupe88 Lurker
    None

Jul 15, 2016
    I downloaded the sd insight app

Attached Files:

7. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Looks legitimate enough, though it's a less comprehensive test than h2testw would give.

Have you tested it in another device? And how did you check the file was there/was deleted? Maybe copy (don't delete) a file using a file browser and check explicitly that it's in both places - I'm just being paranoid about some app creating a shortcut rather than really copying the file, so you only really had one copy. And where did you copy it to on the sd card (which folder?), and have you checked using a file browser just in case for some reason your gallery app doesn't know to look in that folder?

Bg260 likes this.
  8. nupe88

nupe88 Lurker
    None

Jul 15, 2016
    I got it. I was stupid. Didn't realize device storage and my files were 2 different things. I saw the space used up in my files but it was added from the card. And it wasn't on my device storage. Thanks for your help

Bg260 likes this.