• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help New SGS2... so now what ??

I just picked up a new SGS2 and im not really sure what to think.
Technology is just too much for me and I miss the days when cell phones were the size of bricks and there was nothing fancy or digital about them. Too me 'app' is a swearword...
Anyway im not going to rant in this post. I just need a little android guidance.
Now before you say... google it. I work 15 hours a day 7 days a week in a coal mine and my internet connection isnt much faster than dialup. By the time I google something my hair will be turning grey :p

What I am wondering is what do I do get rocking with this phone.
The app icon thingies all over the screen irritate me... is there a way to make them invisible when not in use ??

Whats the best e-mail to use ?? I have always used operamail but since they changed to fast mail... annoying... and my new phone doesnt connect with it.

Everything these days seems to force me to use Gmail which I dislike just on principle. However I decided to try it and there seems to be a shortage of available names in the world. I kid you not, I spent six hours today trying to come up with a name that wasnt taken or didnt suck. In the end the name I chose sucked anyway.

I wish I could just keep my old email name *sigh*

What email programs do you guys like to use ??

Are there standard features and such I should be setting up on my new phone ??
I need a good weather app for my part of Canada. The one that comes with it cant seem to find my city. And how do I hide that big ugly weather screen thats always open on my desktop ??

I dont know if my operating system is the latest and im even less certain how to upgrade it, please help!

My phones service provider says the new android 4. whatever ICS is coming out soon... any updates on that ??

These super slim new fangled contraptions just feel like cheap fragile toys to me. All that said... it is nice and shiny and thank gawd the name doesnt start with 'i' hehe.

Thanks for any help in advance !

Well, I'd start with looking into some apps that you may enjoy. While the idea of apps may seem a bit annoying, some of them are quite good. For example, with a couple of apps, you can take a photo of a bar-code, and it'll tell you other locations near by that have that item and the prices. Great way to find deals.

Also, I've been enjoying the amazon app. I like looking at the deals. Maybe check out the 'application' forum, they probably have a huge list of what are considered 'must have' apps.

I hear ya on the dial up.... it sucks. On it myself.

But with the homescreens and the apps, you could move them to another screen, or get rid of them all together. I like to have one for my clock, and maybe contacts and messaging. Then one screen filled with my most used apps like email and web browser and other various apps.

Also, android has the great ability to use folders, so you could categorize apps based on what they do (I have one for networking tools that I use).

Hope that helps a bit.

Upvote 0
you can have your phone check your old email acount and sync with it. But you still have to KNOW your gmail account's password and ID (this is VERY important). if you lose that.. you will regret it.

GOOGLE makes Android and they attache everything on the phone back to google cloud services. There is NO way getting around it.

since you hate technology. please try to keep an open mind on this. the mindset to hate it, will hamper your ability to learn this and enjoy it. it really is not that hard if you give it half a chance. they make it so easy. really!

dont try to force yourself to learn everything at once..
when you have a need.. then look things up in the market or search in these forums. ex: if you are planing to purchase a new TV.. get the amazon app to find some prices. get shopsavvy to scan the product and you found to make sure it is a great price and get reviews.

little by little you will learn and enjoy this device and what it can do for you....

WeatherBug is a very good weather app.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies !
I dont exactly 'hate' it im willing to learn. I just have issues with technology in general lol.
I tried to tether it to my current email account but it wont let me. My best guess is I have to pay for an upgrade on my email account to do that.
Steven58 my carrier is Telus BC Canada.
Thanks again !

Upvote 0
The phone can do so many things, I actually don't know where to begin to advise you. Best bet is to look at the tips section and search the forums for any similar queries you might have. That you join the forum is one of the best step you can take.

As for email, just use the stock email app. You can set up as many email account as you want including your original email. Then you can receive all the emails.

Good luck.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones