1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

New Shift Owner

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by flu13, Sep 6, 2011.

1. flu13

flu13 Android Enthusiast

Hey, folks. I just wanted to say hi. I'm not new to the site, but the wife and I just upgraded to Shifts over the weekend. I'm coming from a Samsung Moment, and I think it's a great improvement. Unfortunately, our phones have the Gingerbread update, so I can't root right now unless I do the temp root, and that sounds too much like work.

Any tips for a new guy? Especially tips on Sense, since it is sort of alien to me.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. 330D

330D From My Cold Dead Hands

Hey Flu, welcome to the shift. I imagine you know your way around android, so I won't get into the basics, but one thing I recommend because of the loading screen issues some have is a different launcher. that will negate sense, but if you do have the issue, it will help tremendously from what I understand. That being said, I love sense, and luckily I rooted before the update, so I don't have the problem like some do. Sense for some is cumbersome. it does a lot and integrates a lot of things together within the phone. I can't give any recommendations on what to do with it, except play with it a whole lot so you get comfortable with the UI. If you use FB, it really helps tie it into every aspect of your contacts and messaging, which can be really cool (or annoying if you do a LOT of FBing) Other than that, just experiment. You will find what works for you... And of course, ask away if you need anything. We are glad to help when we can.

Ohhh, and put all the apps you can on the sd because one place where the shift falls a little short is internal memory. If you have a ton of large apps, you will see soon enough. I run everything I need to, but some people seem to have a space problem at some point.

Anyway, GL with the new phone, and we hope to see you around with anything you need or would like to add.....;)

3. flu13

flu13 Android Enthusiast

Thanks. What are the loading screen issues? I'm actually accustomed to Zeam as my launcher, but I'm digging Sense for now. I think I'll stick with it for a bit and see what I think.

4. flu13

flu13 Android Enthusiast

Aaaahhh...just saw it in another thread. And yes, I've experienced it. It did it for a while the other day when I enabled a live wallpaper, so I turned off the live wallpaper, and I've been ok since. Could be coincidence.

5. 330D

330D From My Cold Dead Hands

Usually it happens with a data intensive task, methinks....

And I'm with you on sense. I like it and all the stuff that you can do with it.

6. Enraged21

Enraged21 Well-Known Member

Over at xda, there's an exploit for downgrading your hboot to 2.2 and then you can root from there. Works from what i have read.

Edit: saw you guys posted it here too.

7. flu13

flu13 Android Enthusiast

Yup. Performed the steps and I'm rocking my rooted Shift. Viva XDA!

HTC EVO Shift 4G Forum

The HTC EVO Shift 4G release date was January 2011. Features and Specs include a 3.6" inch screen, 5MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

January 2011
Release Date
Reviews