1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

New SIM cards?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by shalemail, Feb 22, 2011.

1. shalemail

shalemail Android Expert

If I get an Atrix (as I plan to do in about 30 minutes) I have heard about this "new SIM" for the $g phones. Problem is this, I plan on keeping my Moto Defy that I have been using on ATT for a few weeks for those times I want a tougher phone (swimming, working on the car, camping, whatnot) ...Will the new SIM work on an old phone? (non 4G?)

Advertisement

2. shalemail

shalemail Android Expert

No its a regular sized sim, just "new" made for 4g ... only Iphones have micro sims as far as I know.

3. sweethurt

sweethurt Lurker

i was told at the att store today that the 4g sim card does work in older model non 4g phones.

4. zizo79

zizo79 Android Enthusiast

They didn't even give me a SIM card at Best Buy...I am heading to my local AT&T store to get one. Will I be able to have keep my iPhone4 SIM card and have one for the Atrix ?

5. MattBee

MattBee Member

zizo79,

Once AT&T activates a new SIM card for your number, the other SIM card becomes canceled as a security matter. I would ask them for an extra iPhone SIM card so if for some reason you are not happy with your Atrix, you can just insert the new iPhone SIM card back into your iPhone at home, call them, and do a device swap with the new SIM card to re-activate your iPhone again!

Good Luck!

6. mrcamp

mrcamp Well-Known Member

No. You can't hsce two sims for one number. If you plan on using both phones, you will need to get an adapter. Not dire ray apple went with the damn micro-sim!

7. ScuroRaven

ScuroRaven Well-Known Member

Do we need to change sims? Seems to be working fine with older one.

8. HyperM3

HyperM3 Android Enthusiast

Yeah, mine is working just fine also with very nice speeds and showing H+ up top.

9. evilbastard

evilbastard Well-Known Member

If you look at the manual, there are actually two indicators for the HSPA, the H+ is supposed to show it's available, and then there are two lines next to it to show it's connected.

[​IMG]

10. HyperM3

HyperM3 Android Enthusiast

Those arrows are just showing that its sending and receiving information. Thats not an indication for HSPA. Those will show up on 3g and EDGE too.

11. evilbastard

evilbastard Well-Known Member

Cool, didn't know for sure.

12. zizo79

Are we supposed to get a "4G" SIM card with the Atrix or just a regular 3G one? Man, the rep that had was rude as hell for no reason whatsoever, he told me that customers don't know much about phones and how they work and that HSPA+ is 4G..SMH

13. Tackleberry78

Tackleberry78 Newbie

picked up my atrix from radio shack and asked about a new sim card and was told i didn't need one. I too would like to know if I should have a different sim card.

14. MattBee

MattBee Member

When I picked up my Atrix at the AT&T Store, The Rep. specifically went and got a different SIM card.

The Rep. stated it's a 4G ready SIM card.............

For What it's worth!

15. jrm390

jrm390 Newbie

I'm using my old one. The phone came with a new one but they just used the old one.

My speeds aren't great though.

16. zizo79

The one that he got had 3G on it ...

17. jessie1290

jessie1290 Newbie

Mine came with the new kind. The store rep said they would be switching them over, but the old ones would work.

18. idroidberry

idroidberry Newbie

they dont have 4g yet so we dont need it... but doesnt hurt to have it is what my best buy employee told me not that confidently.

19. jay_g

jay_g Lurker

I picked up the phone at radio shack last night. There was a ATT rep in there and I asked about the 4g sim. He said I dont need one since technicly it isnt a 4g phone and the 4g sims are for LTE phones. Something about the speed or frequency of the data. So it seems everyone has a different answer so take it for what its worth.

20. shalemail

shalemail Android Expert

I got mine at the ATT store last night, they looked at me cross-eyed when I asked about the "new SIM" for 4G phones ... said no you can use your 3G card no new SIM needed???

I am calling them back on lunch or going up there, just because KC is not on the + network yet does not mean I don't want full functionality when we are on the network. Plus I am going to be in LA in mid March and they are on the + network, I want the power I paid for.

Otherwise, WOW I LOVE this phone.

21. Junk Food

Junk Food Lurker

Okay I called AT&T to activate the new sim and they stated that I could pop in the old sim and it should work. I knew that but why did they include the new sim if I can use the old sim??? Crazy people!

I'll keep it safe somewhere just incase AT&T decides to say, hey your old sim won't work anymore, you need to buy a new sim!

22. at&t doesn't charge you for new sim cards