• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [NEW SKOOL] Install and Use xRecovery

gabeyong

Android Enthusiast
Mar 3, 2011
Hi,

This is a "new skool" method of installing xRecovery to Xperia X8

DISCLAIMER: Please use the info below at your own risk with no warranty of any kind.

IMPORTANT:
Xperia X8 must be E15i [NOT E15a]
Xperia X8 must have the latest firmware: Eclair 2.1.1.A.0.6
Xperia X8 must be ROOTED - use SuperOneClick
Xperia X8 must have Busybox 1.1.7 installed (from Android Market - it's free)

IMPORTANT Note for BusyBox
What you have downloaded from Android Market is the BusyBox Installer
After you get the app from the Android Market you still need to <launch> and <install> BusyBox

NOTE:
E15a has UMTS/HSPA 850/1900/2100
E15i has UMTS/HSPA 900/2100
If you have E15a and use <xRecovery_E15i_installer.apk> you will lose 3G/GPS/GSM services.

DOWNLOAD:
xRecovery.E15i.installer.zip

METHOD:
Step 1: Download, unzip, copy to SD Card and install <xRecovery_E15i_installer.apk>
Step 2: Reboot and when the words Sony Ericsson appears on startup <multiple click> the back button.

xRecovery USAGE:
Select Buttons = Volume Up & Volume Down Buttons
Enter Button = Home Button
Back Button = Back Button

To BACKUP your Xpedia X8's current ROM
select <backup and restore><backup> from the menu

This will create a backup file in your SD Card <SD/xRecovery/backup>
You can copy this backup file to your PC for safe keeping and at a later date copy it back to your SD card </xRecovery/backup> to restore

To RESTORE from a backup of your current ROM
select <backup and restore><restore> from menu & select the <file_name>

CREDITS:
zoz33, zdzihu and unic0de from XDA-Developers ;)

Were you successful installing xRecovery using the New Skool Method? :)

I have installed the Busybox from the busybox installer and that says status:done and have used the xRecovery installer to install the chargemon, busybox and xrecovery.tar to the system/bin area, everything is installed or placed where it should be but when i turn the phone off and reboot it I cant get the xRecovery menu from pressing the back button during the Sony Ericsson screen? HELLLPPP please :(

*Just checked the market and i have busybox 3.3.9 installed not 3.3.7, this wont make a difference will it?

Upvote 0
I have installed the Busybox from the busybox installer and that says status:done and have used the xRecovery installer to install the chargemon, busybox and xrecovery.tar to the system/bin area, everything is installed or placed where it should be but when i turn the phone off and reboot it I cant get the xRecovery menu from pressing the back button during the Sony Ericsson screen? HELLLPPP please :(

*Just checked the market and i have busybox 3.3.9 installed not 3.3.7, this wont make a difference will it?

Hi,

Just check a few things:
1) Phone model is E15i with the latest firmware 2.1.1.A.0.6
2) You did not mention if you have rooted your phone. Your phone must be rooted - <SuperUser> icon in your phone.

If your phone "qualify" it should work. It doesn't matter if it is BusyBox v3.3.7 or v3.3.9
just <launch> the BusyBox Installer and <install> BusyBox 1.1.7

cheers

Do or do not... there is no try - Yoda

Upvote 0
I did as you instructed but when i reboot it goes straight to normal boot, it did not go into xrecovery, then i tried to install again xRecovery, it says it's aleady installed. What to do now?
Thanks

Hi,

You have to check if you have met the prerequisites on at the top of my post.

otherwise you have to do it the manual way.

OLD SKOOL METHOD

cheers :)

Upvote 0
Hi,

This is a "new skool" method of installing xRecovery to Xperia X8

DISCLAIMER: Please use the info below at your own risk with no warranty of any kind.

IMPORTANT:
Xperia X8 must be E15i [NOT E15a]
Xperia X8 must have the latest firmware: Eclair 2.1.1.A.0.6
Xperia X8 must be ROOTED - use SuperOneClick
Xperia X8 must have Busybox 1.1.7 installed (from Android Market - it's free)

IMPORTANT Note for BusyBox
What you have downloaded from Android Market is the BusyBox Installer
After you get the app from the Android Market you still need to <launch> and <install> BusyBox

NOTE:
E15a has UMTS/HSPA 850/1900/2100
E15i has UMTS/HSPA 900/2100
If you have E15a and use <xRecovery_E15i_installer.apk> you will lose 3G/GPS/GSM services.

DOWNLOAD:
xRecovery.E15i.installer.zip

METHOD:
Step 1: Download, unzip, copy to SD Card and install <xRecovery_E15i_installer.apk>
Step 2: Reboot and when the words Sony Ericsson appears on startup <multiple click> the back button.

xRecovery USAGE:
Select Buttons = Volume Up & Volume Down Buttons
Enter Button = Home Button
Back Button = Back Button

To BACKUP your Xpedia X8's current ROM
select <backup and restore><backup> from the menu

This will create a backup file in your SD Card <SD/xRecovery/backup>
You can copy this backup file to your PC for safe keeping and at a later date copy it back to your SD card </xRecovery/backup> to restore

To RESTORE from a backup of your current ROM
select <backup and restore><restore> from menu & select the <file_name>

CREDITS:
zoz33, zdzihu and unic0de from XDA-Developers ;)

Were you successful installing xRecovery using the New Skool Method? :)
I have tried the old school method and did not work,wanna try using new school method.do I have to install again busy box.i found that for v1.1.7 got many version from 1.1.7.1 till 1.1.7.4.which one should I pick and where to install it,system/bin or system/bin.please help me.

Upvote 0
I have tried the old school method and did not work,wanna try using new school method.do I have to install again busy box.i found that for v1.1.7 got many version from 1.1.7.1 till 1.1.7.4.which one should I pick and where to install it,system/bin or system/bin.please help me.

Hi,
Install the latest Busybox whatever the version
Then you have to ROOT your phone using SuperOneClick

Assuming you have E15i... and a file explorer like Astro...

download and install the xRecovery.E15i.installer.apk

gabe

Upvote 0
Hello all from a newbie!
I think I've mada everything correctly to install Xrecovery on my SE Xperia X8... but when I use Astro file manager to check if all files in the right place (\system\bin\) Xrecovery.tar is missing. I can't move it using Astro.
When I try to use XRecovery installer it reports:
"cp can't create '/system/bin/xrecovery.tar': Read only file system
Any ideas or suggestions? :eek: Thank you!
(I have busybox and used superoneclick to root the phone, I have superuser installed and Xrecovery installer is listed there)

Upvote 0
Hello all from a newbie!
I think I've mada everything correctly to install Xrecovery on my SE Xperia X8... but when I use Astro file manager to check if all files in the right place (\system\bin\) Xrecovery.tar is missing. I can't move it using Astro.
When I try to use XRecovery installer it reports:
"cp can't create '/system/bin/xrecovery.tar': Read only file system
Any ideas or suggestions? :eek: Thank you!
(I have busybox and used superoneclick to root the phone, I have superuser installed and Xrecovery installer is listed there)

hi,
if you have done everything correctly you should be able to reboot and go to xRecovery menu by pressing the back button.

otherwise you might have to use Root Explorer to copy and paste the three files manually and before you paste the three files using Root Explorer do remember to <click><Mount R/W>

gabe

Upvote 0
To: Gabeyong

Followed your instructions
1.successful root using superoneclick
2.download busy box and install v 1.17.1 found ok
3.launch/install xrecovery.apk followed on the link found ok
4.reboot phone and after sony ericson logo appear press back several times
but won't work.

any problems with my installation?im a bit newbie so pls bear with me.;)
* before try copying/install through rootxplorer but not possible because of file permission even though change it/permit and said out of memory.

pls reply, much appreciated.

best grds,
makodroid

Upvote 0
please is there anyone else can help me with my problem?

I cannot paste the file busybox, chargemon and xrecovery.tar to system/bin it keeps giving me this message "you cannot paste here because the file system is read-only." please anyone help me with my problem. :(

thanks !!

Hi,

if you are using Root Explorer before you paste the files <Select><Mount R/W> at the top of the screen. if you select Mount R/W you should be able to copy and paste without problems.

gabe

Upvote 0
few days b4,i rooted my phn(successful) and installd rootexplorer..
smwhr i read tat clockwrkmod z new vrsn f xrecvry..so i dwnlded tat
it had META-INF and system folder>{xbin>>sh, bin>>recvry.tar,chargemon,charger)

as it ws writtn in instrctn to cpy cntents f bth 'XBIN' n 'BIN' into /system/bin n grnt permissions..
i did the same by clckn mount r/w..n pasted it
#rebooted..

Now rootxplorer shws Restrt App error..and wifi and odr thngs r disabld on phone..
any .apk regrdng root access doesnt seem to wrk,evn wen Superuser app alows thm permissn

#flashtool tried too..(not wrking nw)
#tried to re-root..(not wrking)

PLZ HELP!!:(:( m stuck badly..

Upvote 0
i have installed xrecovery( the one from new skool). i have rooted my phone via super one click. i have the superuser icon in my phone. i have also installed root explorer. BUT i m totally lost at the 3 files thing! I dont know what 3 files everybody is talking about. but i installed busybox from th android market. version 1.19.4 . help meeeee!!

Upvote 0
i have installed xrecovery( the one from new skool). i have rooted my phone via super one click. i have the superuser icon in my phone. i have also installed root explorer. BUT i m totally lost at the 3 files thing! I dont know what 3 files everybody is talking about. but i installed busybox from th android market. version 1.19.4 . help meeeee!!

Hi,

If you have installed xRecovery the 3 files are not required.

gabe

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones