• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New sub-forum request: "Best Apps"

mjschmidt

Android Expert
Jun 27, 2009
In my house.
I have a suggestion for a sub-forum. In the applications forum there are too many "best x" app threads, it can be hard to find the one you want with a regular search, and of course the "Favourite App" thread goes on forever. ;-)

I am suggesting a "Best App" sub-forum, the purpose of which would be to offer an organized collection of threads on a regular basis (once a day or a few times a week) asking for the best in a certain category of apps.

I envision something like the regular "Hive Five" feature on Gizmodo (you can see an example here if you aren't a regular Gizmodo reader: Five Best Online File Sharing Services - Online File storage - Lifehacker).

Each day, or every couple of days, as admin could create a thread asking for submissions for the best of a certain kind of app, for example "Best E-mail App". Commenters would nominate one or more of what they feel are the best apps in that category, with a brief reason why.

The next day, or x days later, an admin generates a list from the threads and creates a poll for actual voting, along with a brief description of each app in the poll (or the top x apps in the poll) along with links to the QR code for each on AndroLib or a similar site.

This could be an invaluable resource to users wanting to find apps for the phone, and not wanting to slog through the Applications forum looking for what they need.

I would be happy to help out as a mod in a sub-forum like this, and if you feel it is redundant, or unnecessary, I understand, just wanted to float the idea.

I like this idea...I subscribe to almost a half dozen threads on for different subforums to find favorite apps. And favorite app thread to most people that has to go through almost a dozen pages is daunting... Its be nice if all of these threads have a specific sub forum. Instead of having a certain thread on an app a certain number of days. You have a list of threads of the basic app...and users are require to have a more detail explanation why they like that certain app.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones