• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Swype beta version

mpavlansky

Jan 4, 2011
I used swype all day long, and have been a fan for a long time. I pre-ordered an SG3, which I've read doesn't come with Swype pre-installed, however, you can go to the Swype website and get registered in order to download their beta version.

Before I get my new SG3, I thought I'd get used to the new version and practice on my DX. Has anyone else tried the new beta version of Swype on their DX? I'd love to have an idea of what I might be getting myself into.

Upvote 0
I haven't played with it much, but I do like some of the improvements over the last beta. The two things that I've noticed are that they got rid of the language button (a dedicated button to switch between languages...something I never do) and the addition of a ".com" button (where the language button was). They also added some features to go through your emails, texts, facebook, and twitter to add stuff to your custom dictionary. Oh, they also changed the trace line from a solid line to a wider, but "softer" (like the line is glowing) line. It would have been nice if they let you choose colors or themes, but that's minor.

My biggest problem is that instead of upgrading my old version, this is a whole new installer and keyboard. So I can choose between the last Swype version and the new Swype Beta. I guess that could be beneficial, but it also means that my custom dictionary doesn't get moved over to the new beta version.

Reactions: mpavlansky
Upvote 0
Being that my old swype will be left in place seems like a great idea, and if the beta is a problem, I can follow my easy bread crumb trail back.

I believe I'll download the beta version a little later tonight. I got my beta link from swype a little earlier, and will experiment after I leave the office.

I suspect I'll be desperate for swype once the SG3 ships, so practicing with this beta version ahead of time seems to make great sense to me.

Upvote 0
As far as I know, you will still have to remove the stock Swype before you can install the Beta Swype, but you could try. The worst that happens is that the install fails or you get a lot of keyboard errors. In that case, switch to the stock Android keyboard, remove the beta, remove the stock Swype (I suggest just renaming the files), reboot, and then install the beta.

Upvote 0
I used swype all day long, and have been a fan for a long time. I pre-ordered an SG3, which I've read doesn't come with Swype pre-installed, however, you can go to the Swype website and get registered in order to download their beta version.

When you do get the SIII, some people are having trouble installing the Swype beta on their phone. I"m going to try it, in case they have fixed the issue by the time we get our phones. If it doesn't work, read this thread from the SIII forum.

And FYI for anyone who doesn't know where to get Swype.... Swype | Text Input for Screens

Reactions: mpavlansky
Upvote 0
I finally bit the bullet, downloaded, and installed over top of the existing Swype version. I've used the update all this morning, and it has worked flawlessly. It has a very similar look as Swype did way back when I had an HTC Imagio Windows phone.

When my Sg3 arrives, I'll try to download this same version, and if I can't get it to work, I'll use the link to the XDA site with the modified version of Swype listed a few posts above.

Upvote 0
I put it on my Droid X without doing anything special and, like others said, it did not interfere with the stock version (you can choose either). It works great. The only thing I don't like about it is the special navigation keyboard (swype from the logo to the key direct to the right) sucks now. The old version was great but the new screen's layout is terrible and it is missing a few useful keys.

Upvote 0
The one feature I lost moving to the beta version is the ability to delete an entire work with a long press of the delete button. On the beta version, when I hold down the delete key, it just deletes back fast instead of deleting a word at a time. The new version works fine, and may be a tiny bit faster.

I'll definitely plan to download this whenever I get my new SG3.

Upvote 0
I'm new to android. just switched from iphone to gs3. i recently installed swype beta, and i like it so far except for one thing. after everytime i send a text message it automaically begins a new message with the last word that i typed. has anyone else had this problem or heard of this before? its very annoying

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones