• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New system update - erased entire phone!

Hello all,
My fiancé got a new HTC M9 a couple of weeks ago and it was working fine enough, minus the wrong time on the clock, and all widgets.
Anyway, got a notification earlier today for a system update, so I downloaded it and after a few hours the "update" was finally done. The phone restarted and was back to factory settings. All contacts, pictures, messages, everything is now gone. Has anyone else had this issue in the past? The phone is not very old, so I didn't see much of a need to do a backup on it.

That is a common thing, it is the same as FDR.

You should have backed up everything you wanted to keep before you allowed it to start.

My daughter has the M9, and I have cautioned her against allowing it to do anything unless I am watching the screen on it.

Yeah, but system updates don't generally wipe the data partition.

d2j2, what network were you on and what was the updated software version?

Upvote 0
If it's 5.1, it's not as if it's a major OS update either.

There's not much we can do after the fact unfortunately. As I mentioned, it's almost unheard of for an OTA to wipe the data partition.

I can't find anything online suggesting any one else has a problem with that update so I'm going to have to presume your issue is a one off.

Sorry I can't offer much more help. :(

Hopefully someone with the Telus model will be able to chip in.

Reactions: SolApathy
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones