• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help New tablet

jen55

Jan 10, 2016
I have a rca tablet that i cant use a memory card with. I want something i can play lots of games on and read. I also use a photo app on mine. Suggestion for what to buy? Thinking kindle fire looks inserting. Trying to stay under 50 will buy used

Staying under $50 is really going to limit you on memory and processing power both of which you need if you are playing lots of games (unless they are simple games). I'm not sure that the Kindle Fire has a memory card slot. Mine doesn't, but I don't know what the newer ones have. You want to be sure to check that out before buying.

Upvote 0
Im willing to buy used which gives me room. I mostly play amszon app games. Word crush hidden picture solitare word serches.... Im taking a 30 train trip so it would be cool to find one i can watch hulu on. The kindle fire i saw had expandable memory up to 128gb. Is that enough or no? I use micro sd in my camera and do basic edits w photo pro on tablet too.

Upvote 0
128 gb is a huge amount of memory and you are unlikely to need that much, but be aware that a memory card is usually storage memory (for books, movies, music, etc.) and not all apps can go on a storage card. The games you are listing don't really require much memory so you might be OK with a Kindle.

If I were buying a tablet given your needs and the current state of the art, I'd look for a minimum of 16 gb (32 gb is better) and a quad-core processor. Also, I'd look for a minimum of 1280x800 screen resolution.

To be honest, I have an original Kindle Fire HD, and I can't really recommend Kindles because to me they are really just an advertising platform for Amazon products and services.

Upvote 0
I have no idea about the prices for used tablets. As far as new tablets go, the prices for a good tablet are generally well over $100. The one exception might be the Kindle because Amazon subsidizes the hardware because, as I said, it's an advertising platform for Amazon products and services. It might well meet your needs if you buy a lot of ebooks from Amazon, and the games can be downloaded from Amazon.

So I cautiously take back what I said last night and the Kindle might be a good option for you. It's probably better than any used tablet you can get for $50. Just make sure you get one with at least 16 gb if you can. If you want a memory card, check that out as well. Also, keep in mind that the Kindle is not a straight Android tablet. It's highly customized by Amazon.

Reactions: psionandy
Upvote 0
I can get a 2012 model for $40 and a 2012 model for 90.. Which one is better? also is it worth it? I mean its what 4 years old. Is it comparable to the newer ones? Im just looking to get somthing I wont have to upgrade for a few years. stil heartbroken that my last one smashed after 4 long years

Upvote 0
The 2013 model just got an update to Android Marshmallow (latest version of Android). Yes, it's worth it. As I said, the specs are awesome even today. You won't find a better tablet for the price anywhere. Plus, it's a Nexus which means it receives updates from Google.

It's called a 2013 model, but I know for a fact that it was being manufactured as late as 2015. It's still listed on Asus' website.

Reactions: Karen219
Upvote 0
Unfortunately, I don't think so.

Be careful with any tablet that lists 8 gb as it's amount of memory. When the operating system overhead is taken off you will be left with considerably less than 8 gb. My 16 gb Kindle Fire HD has just 12 gb available for use.

Have you considered transferring photos via the cloud using, say, Google Drive?

Upvote 0
Well for one,The HP Stream 7 has Windows 8.1
HP Stream 7:
1. Smaller battery
2. No GPS
3. Faster CPU clocks
4. More Internal storage

LG G Pad F 8.0:
Android Lollipop 5.0
1. Bigger battery
2. GPS
3. Newer
4. Better Camera(Both;Primary & Secondary).
With this tablet,I can plug my 1tb. WD My Passport Ultra External Hard Drive in to it.
And my wireless mouse and/or keyboard,Flash drive....

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
That HP Stream 7, not only is it Windows, it's also a very basic spec for a Windows device, 1GB RAM that will probably be quite laggy and sluggish, 2GB would be much better. Also with Windows, because it's a desktop OS and much larger than Android, 32GB internal storage will probably give you around 12-16GB maximum free internal to use, for your apps and everything else, I don't think it can use an SD.

Last edited:
Reactions: AMOCO
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones