1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General New Thunderbolt to Rezound Refugee

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by pat3332, Jan 2, 2012.

1. pat3332

pat3332 Well-Known Member
    None

May 1, 2011
    Oklahoma City
    I originally got my TBolt in April because I need a hotspot to tether my laptop to at work since there is no WiFi there. For about the first 3-4 months, I had a good 4G connection, but during the last 4-5 months, it has gone from bad to worse, till 4G has become almost nonexistent. Even when I have a 4G icon in the status bar, it acts like it's gone to sleep and isn't connecting to anything and I keep getting a cannot connect to network message. Even when it does connect, it loads web pages very slowly. When I am surfing on the phone itself, I have a good 4G connection and the 4G speed is normal, but when I connect the hotspot, it slows down and the 4G connection goes to sleep.

Last week I went to Verizon and got the Rezound to try. I left the Bolt activated so I could try them side by side. Over the last 3 days, the Rezound has left my poor TBolt in the dust. The Rezound has had a good 4G signal almost all week end with an occasional signal drop to 3G, but then it will come back to 4G, while my Bolt says it's in 4G, but only connects occasionally and very slowly. The Rezound seems to maintain it's 4G connection well and doesn't slow down. The speed seems about the same whether I'm connected to the hotspot or not.

The other nice surprise is that the GPS on the Rezound is much better than on the TBolt. I don't know if anyone else has noticed a difference, but the Bolt might get close to my location, but was often off by 1-2 miles. The Rezound finds my location within 25 to 50 feet.

I feel like HTC rushed the Bolt out too soon to be the first 4G phone, then fixed most of the Bolt's problems and made the Rezound what the TBolt should have been.

The Rezound is definitely a keeper. Not perfect, but no phone is. Still too much bloat ware that I can't get rid of for one thing.

The Verizon rep said she would give me $95.00 for my Bolt, but I haven't decided yet. I was thinking about keeping it as a WiFi phone and if possible, learning to root with it. Is it possible to root an inactive phone that isn't on any phone or data plans?

Any suggestions will be welcome and since Verizon doesn't think the Rezound needs it's own forum, I appreciate all of the help and information I;ve gotten from everyone here.

Advertisement

2. ChiTownJim

ChiTownJim Android Expert
    None

Jan 9, 2010
    Restaurant Owner and Chef
    Denver
    If I were u I'd get the thunderbolt replaced under warranty and keep it for a wifi only and also a backup phone just in case . I had the tbolt then the Rezound and yes the Rezound is better in every way.
    Also like you mentioned keeping the bolt as rooting learning device is a great idea and yes you can root phones that aren't active on a cell network

3. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest
    None
    TB to Rezound owner here as well, and I agree with the both of you. The Thunderbolt should've been what the Rezound is now. It seems like they really took the time to see where the Thunderbolt lacked and applied those improvements to the Rezound. Even minor things like how long you have to hold the power button to power up the device really helped (Although the buttons being so flush with the device is somewhat of a head scratcher).

As far as your Thunderbolt is concerned, sell it and accessorize your Rezound. And I mean sell it to an individual, not Verizon.

Tags: