• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Tired Data Plans Question

bucket

Jul 21, 2010
With the new data plans it is $30 for unlimited data or $10 for 200MB with $0.10 per MB overage.....but that is only for the mid range phones. The top of the line phones must get the $30 plan.

I have a G1 (classified as top of the line phone) on a non contract Even More Plus plan. So would it be possible to go on the TMobile website and just change what phone it thinks I have so that I would be eligible for the $10 plan? Can TMobile actually check and see what kind of phone I have?

For starters, yes T-Mobile knows what phone you're using. Not only that, they know the date you first used your phone, the last date you used your phone and the start and stop dates for every phone you have ever used on your account.

In terms of getting feature phone data to work on a G1, it's a little more gray and requires just plain falling through the cracks. I know the BH2 can be configured to used WAP data and I'm fairly certain the Vibrant can as well, but I've yet to read anything regarding the G1 being used on WAP.

You can try the following settings once you activate the $10 data package, but I'm not sure if it will work.

Name: T-Mobile US
APN: wap.voicestream.com
proxy: 216.155.165.050
port: 8080
Username: Not set
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMSC: unchanged from original (http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc)
MMS Proxy: 216.155.165.050
MMS Port: 8080
MMC: unchanged (for me it was 310, I believe it is based on your location)
MNC: unchanged (for me it was 260, I believe it is based on your location)
APN type: Not set

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones