• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New to Android, a couple questions....

money69

Lurker
Sep 4, 2010
I just switched from some Windows Mobile phone I had to a Mytouch Slide and I really like Android so far but I have a couple questions im unsure about and Im hoping someone can help me.

1. The contacts I had in gmail synced down fine but when I add a new contact on the phone and I select my email address as the type to make sure it syncs with gmail for some reason the contact is not visible on the phone and never syncs with gmail. Why is this? Changes made from within Contacts when Im logged into Gmail update fine to the phone and changes made to existing contacts on my phone update on gmail but new contacts don't show up. Ive got to be missing something.

2. How can I tell from software information on the device if I have that update that Tmobile recently sent down to the Mytouch slides to improve battery life etc? My version is listed as 2.1-update1, does that mean I have it?

3. Anyway to show company information along with name in contacts?

Im hoping someone can help me.

Thanks.

Number 1. When adding the new contact. make sure at the very top it says Google contact, and not phone contact or something similar.
I always add contacts on Gmail on my computer. A lot easier for me.

3. Again, when adding a contact on Gmail in my computer, there is an option for notes. That might not be what you're refering to. But i believe that's as close as it gets to allowing you to enter additional information.

Oh, and Welcome to Android and the Android forums!

Upvote 0
Number 1. When adding the new contact. make sure at the very top it says Google contact, and not phone contact or something similar.
I always add contacts on Gmail on my computer. A lot easier for me.

3. Again, when adding a contact on Gmail in my computer, there is an option for notes. That might not be what you're refering to. But i believe that's as close as it gets to allowing you to enter additional information.

Oh, and Welcome to Android and the Android forums!

In regards to #1 this is exactly what I did, afterwards I can't find the contact in either the phone list or synced online with my Gmail.

Any ideas?

Upvote 0
HAve you tried checking your settings in Menu-settings-accounts.
MAke sure Gmail is set to sync

Its set to sync and does sync from Gmail -----> phone but not the other way around. Also, editing contacts on my phone that originally came from Gmail when it synced the first time also works. But when I add a contact on my phone for some reason it doesn't even show on the phone or on Gmail.

Upvote 0
Its set to sync and does sync from Gmail -----> phone but not the other way around. Also, editing contacts on my phone that originally came from Gmail when it synced the first time also works. But when I add a contact on my phone for some reason it doesn't even show on the phone or on Gmail.

Check which contacts you are listing in the contacts app. (In the contacts app, press the menu button and then choose "View") Here you can check and un-check contact sources.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones