• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New to android advice please

cje1969

Lurker
May 30, 2011
Hello everyone out there,
I am new to the android system, i've just got my first android tablet and i love it, my question is:
My tablet has got v2.2 installed on it, can i upgrade this to a higher version or is 2.2 a good install. i have no problems with it but was just wondering.
Any advice out there please talk in laymans terms. Thank you.

The answer is "it depends". What tablet have you got? If the tablet manufacturer offers an upgrade path, you can move from version to version without reinstalling or restoring data. If they will not provide in-place upgrades for your device, then there is always the option to flash a custom rom. However, if your tablet is not common, it may be a crapshoot to find a rom that works with your device.

Android 2.2 (FroYo) added more user features, while 2.3 (Gingerbread) was a good deal "under the hood" tuneup. You can read about what's in it here.

The biggest features for most people in 2.2 were the support of Adobe Flash and the ability to put apps on the sd card. If that's enough for you, then your tablet should be very functional for a long time. If you crave the improvements in 2.3, then you might be in for a bit of sleuthing.

In any event, we're here to help. Welcome tot he forums.

Reactions: cje1969
Upvote 0
Howdy cje1969! and welcome to the forums. With 2.2 being froyo depending on which tablet you have you may or may not be able to upgrade to a new android version. I would definitely recommend checking out the forum specific to your device! You can see a list of the tablet forums here! You may want to look into rooting your device and really unlocking its full potential.

Reactions: cje1969
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones