1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

New to Android and a little lost...

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Zcherub, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Zcherub

Zcherub Member
    None

Jul 27, 2013
    I just came over from iOS, and so far, I'm loving the customization available to me (had to jailbreak my Apple devices to do a lot of the stuff I've done in my first week of owning an Android).

There is one area I'm a little frustrated with, and that is the music playback/podcast playback functionality. Essentially, I want to replicate what iOS does with music/podcasts because, frankly, for all their faults, Apple nailed that.

I would like to keep my music and podcasts/audiobooks separate entirely. I'm okay with using separate apps to do this, but I HAVE to have the ability to pause and resume podcasts/books where I left off, and the ability to download/save podcasts (not just stream them) to save on data usage. I would also like the ability to delete podcasts when I'm done using the phone (without a PC).

I would also like to keep whatever music player I use from playing ringtones and podcasts when I shuffle all of my songs. It's VERY annoying to have these play back in the middle of music. I've read up on the ".nomedia" file solution, but it appears that I have to go in and edit this file name each time to get the podcast player to be able to read the file when I want. Seems overly complicated to me.

Long and short of it - how to I get my Android to handle audio media like iOS does without giving up the other flexibility the device offers?

With a few pointers, I'm sure I can get what I'm after. Theres no way that there are this many Android users with frustrating audio media issues! Thanks for the help!

Advertisement

2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    I'm not sure about audiobook apps, maybe someone else can help there.

I know zplayer and N7 Player have options to specify media folders/playlists so you can omit folders which contain your ringtones. No messing about with .nomedia files etc. :)

Looking about at podcast apps, Doggcatcher seems quite feature laden. I've linked to the free version, but there's a paid version too.

Zcherub and funkylogik like this.
  3. Zcherub

Zcherub Member
    None

Jul 27, 2013
    Thanks Presidente! Is it really as simple as using a PC to make sure my podcasts and audiobooks are in a different folder than my music?

I have yet to hook the phone up to a PC to mess with the file system... I tried to use a file manager on the phone itself, but honestly, I couldn't find anything. Guess I have a long way to go...

Thanks again!

4. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Simple as that (or should be).

I'm using Play Music now and that handles things slightly differently than most music apps but previously, I'd have a folder on my SD Card/Memory called Ringtones which contained my ringtones and a folder called Music which contained my music.

I simply pointed zPlayer/N7 Player towards to the music folder and none of stuff I wanted to use for ringtones/notification tones appeared on any of my playlists.

I'm not sure how it would work for podcasts (I've never actually used doggcatcher, just seen it recommended :eek:), but I imagine it would work in a similar way.

If you want me to download and have a mess about, let me know.

Zcherub likes this.
  5. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
    Even without a pc, just use a file explorer on the phone to put the files in different folders :thumbup:

El Presidente likes this.
  6. Zcherub

Zcherub Member
    None

Jul 27, 2013
    I see - thanks. Maybe that's the issue... I'm using the default "Play Music" app, and I don't see the option to point it to a sepcific folder, only "All Music" or "Playlists"... I'll play around with another music app and see if there are options that Play Music doesn't offer.

Thanks for the help!

7. Zcherub

Zcherub Member
    None

Jul 27, 2013
    Thanks! I'm using File Manager now, but I can't seem to locate most of what I'm looking for... Is there a better one, or do I just need to learn my way around the file directory better?