• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help New to Android and Overwhelmed

Rob0208

May 6, 2012
Hey everybody

I've had my One X for about 3 weeks or so now and it's my first Android device ever. I like it, but I'd had an iPhone for the last 3 or 4 years so it's a massive change. There's a few things I'm unsure of though..

Does anybody know whether or not Launcher Pro has any other themes? Go Launcher had it's own theme store and there's a ton of them on the Play Store, but none for Launcher Pro.

And some stuff that I'm not sure whether or not they are bugs:

- Live wallpapers sometimes don't scroll, but jump instead.
- Battery life is absolutely awful
- I have vibrations turned off, but sometimes it just randomly vibrates for no reason. It's always 2 or 3 short and sharp vibrations but there's never any notification to go with it.
- Notification sounds sometimes don't work. I've held the phone in my hand as someone texts me and the light starts flashing, but no sound.
- I got a new lockscreen but 80% of the time when I press the wake button, the default HTC lockscreen shows up for a few seconds instead.

Last thing, the phone appears to be using a LOT more data for some reason. I used to get 750MB on my iPhone and never came close to using it, but I now get 1GB and used it all with a week still to go. Admittedly, I was probably using it a lot more because it's new, but according to the phone BBC News and Sky News used 150MB+ each and I know I hardly used them. Anyone know why that could be?

Thanks guys :)

- Does anybody know whether or not Launcher Pro has any other themes? - Yeah there should be other themes, just need to have a wee search for them on the Play Store or look here - https://play.google.com/store/search?q=Launcher+pro+themes&c=apps

- Notification sounds sometimes don't work. I've held the phone in my hand as someone texts me and the light starts flashing, but no sound. - If you pick the phone up when it is ringing etc it quietens down, could be this.

- BBC/Sky data usage - Turn off the auto updates in the app and have them update manually. Should save on data.

Upvote 0
Hey everybody

I've had my One X for about 3 weeks or so now and it's my first Android device ever. I like it, but I'd had an iPhone for the last 3 or 4 years so it's a massive change. There's a few things I'm unsure of though..

Does anybody know whether or not Launcher Pro has any other themes? Go Launcher had it's own theme store and there's a ton of them on the Play Store, but none for Launcher Pro.

And some stuff that I'm not sure whether or not they are bugs:

- Live wallpapers sometimes don't scroll, but jump instead.
- Battery life is absolutely awful
- I have vibrations turned off, but sometimes it just randomly vibrates for no reason. It's always 2 or 3 short and sharp vibrations but there's never any notification to go with it.
- Notification sounds sometimes don't work. I've held the phone in my hand as someone texts me and the light starts flashing, but no sound.
- I got a new lockscreen but 80% of the time when I press the wake button, the default HTC lockscreen shows up for a few seconds instead.

Last thing, the phone appears to be using a LOT more data for some reason. I used to get 750MB on my iPhone and never came close to using it, but I now get 1GB and used it all with a week still to go. Admittedly, I was probably using it a lot more because it's new, but according to the phone BBC News and Sky News used 150MB+ each and I know I hardly used them. Anyone know why that could be?

Thanks guys :)
Don't know about Launcher Pro, don't use it anymore, seems to have been abandoned really.

Live Wallpaper issue is a known issue, hopefully HTC fix it in a new base.

Battery life is great for me, I think you should google battery saving tips, I'd imagine you've got everything syncing in the background (relates to you using lots of data), personally I'd set the phone up to manually sync, go through every app and make sure that the syncing is off or manual, see how your battery goes and then turn bits on slowly until you're happy with your battery.

Don't know about your vibrations issue, sorry.

Don't know about the sound issues.

If you're using a different lockscreen from the Play Store then it's not a HTC issue, it's actually an Android issue, something to do with a 5 second security setting in Android or something.

Using lots of data could be related to having everything syncing all the time.

You could try a Factory Reset too but personally I'd do the above first, if not then you may have a faulty phone :)

Reactions: blacktea
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones