1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General New to Android. Couple questions

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by stang5o2002, Apr 29, 2012.

1. stang5o2002

stang5o2002 Lurker
    None

Apr 22, 2012
    I've read till my eyes hurt and used the search function but I cant come up with an exact solution. I'm coming out of a 4 year relationship with Apple, so this is a huge learning curve for me.
    Anyway, I've tried several different sms apps and cant find one I really like. I want the ability to choose a custom sms tone for each individual contact. Go Sms does this, but I don't like how when you send someone an mms message it shows up on their phone as a link. Does anyone know of a good, simple sms app to replace the stock sms app and also has the ability to assign individual tones?
    Also, how about a good app to replace the stock camera app? I have a 15 month old and don't carry my camera with me all the time. The camera on my skyrocket really sucks compared to my Iphone 4. And before someone says it, I know its a phone, and not meant to be a dedicated camera, but my Iphone did an awesome job of just pointing and shooting. And I don't want to go back to my Iphone just for the camera either. I love my new android. There are just a few minor things Id like to change on it to make the experience a little better.

Thanks

Advertisement

2. FJR1300

FJR1300 Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 30, 2012
    Try going into the stock messenger app menu and enabling mms auto retrieve, then go back to the Go SMS app and see if that doesn't resolve your problem. Other than that I've read that handcent is a good messenger app.

As far as the camera goes, have you already tried all of the different settings? It has adjustable ISO, anti-shake, scene settings, smile detection, etc. I've found that the camera takes quite good pictures, but the limited resolution of the phone's screen may not make the photos appear to have come out well. Upload them to your pc/mac and you might see that the pics are better quality than realized on the phone. Also if you're not running the screen at full brightness to view photos, the lower screen brightness settings won't do them justice.

stang5o2002 likes this.
  3. stang5o2002

stang5o2002 Lurker
    None

Apr 22, 2012
    Yeah I tried that in the go sms app. Still showed up as a link on the recipients phone. And I did like Handcent, but it still lacks the ability to set a different sms tone for individual contacts.
    As far as the camera goes, ill give your suggestions a try. Haven't actually uploaded any to a Pc yet. Only had the phone for 2 days so far.

4. mojosodope

mojosodope Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 9, 2012
    I came from an iPhone and decided to switch back because I couldn't find solutions to anything...especially the major things you have listed

5. stang5o2002

stang5o2002 Lurker
    None

Apr 22, 2012
    I really don't want to switch back. My Iphone 4's lock button is broken and its on its last leg. I don't want to waste an upgrade on the 4s, and I really cant wait till the next Iphone comes out. Not to mention I'm just tired of them anyway. Really want to give this whole android thing a good run before I give up

6. FJR1300

None

Mar 30, 2012
    Wish I could help you figure out the mms problem, I typically only send mms to my wife and she has the same phone, so I haven't encountered your problem yet. Checked all of my settings to see if I could find something else to suggest, the only thing I've found is that if you use the Go SMS service to send an mms it will store the pic on their server, you must use the regular mms function on the far right to send mms direct. If you don't find the answer on the forum, you might want to try going to or calling AT&T to see if they can troubleshoot it, maybe try another sim card?

I came from an iPhone too, doubt I'll ever go back after enjoying the large screen, customization and lag free operation of the GS II SR. But I can see where some people wouldn't want to spend time fine tuning their phone and would rather just take it out of the box and go, more or less.

stang5o2002 likes this.
  7. stang5o2002

stang5o2002 Lurker
    None

Apr 22, 2012
    By "on the far right", do you mean inside the go sms app? Because if that's the case then that app would be perfect for me. I don't have another phone around to test send an mms to or I could test it out

8. FJR1300

None

Mar 30, 2012
    Yep, when in the GO SMS app on a contact, bottom far right corner button is regular carrier mms.

stang5o2002 likes this.
  9. stang5o2002

stang5o2002 Lurker
    None

Apr 22, 2012
    Wow I don't know how I missed that! I sent a pic to my girlfriend who has an Iphone and it worked! Thank you very much!

10. FJR1300

None

Mar 30, 2012
    Glad it worked out for you:)