1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

New to Android, From iOS

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by SC36DC, Sep 1, 2011.

1. SC36DC

SC36DC Lurker

Hello everyone,

My name is Raymond, I live in northern California.

I have just recently purchased my FIRST official Android phone, the Motorola Triumph on Virgin Mobile.

Previous to this, my last 2 phones have been the iPhone 3GS and the iPhone 4. Both of them were jailbroken, as I love to customize things and get in there and add features Apple missed.

After being out of work for over a year now, I had to cancel my AT&T plan for my iPhone 4, as the monthly bill was just too much to deal with, so basically I was just using my phone as a iPod Touch.

That was until a friend of mine who was already on Virgin Mobile told me about how cheap the plans were, at the time $25 a month for 300 minutes which includes unlimited data and texts, great price. Then he told me about a new phone that had just came out, the Motorola Triumph. I immediately took to YouTube to begin watching video reviews and then Android videos in general. Needless to say, I was determined to get this phone! (Since the Triumph was released, the plans went up and now the cheapest is $35 for 300 minutes and unlimited data and text)

After borrowing a few bucks, I headed to Best Buy with 10% off coupon found online, and walked out the door with the phone paying $294.

Now actually having the phone in my hand, I am absolutely LOVING all the ways to customize things, with mostly ALL FREE apps found in the Market. Some of my favorites so far, ADW Launcher, SwipePad, Go SMS Pro, MultiIcon, TubeMate, and just Widgets in General. Even after coming from a Jailbroken iPhone 4, I simply can't believe how much you can do to customize and adjust settings of just about EVERYTHING. I have already rooted my phone, and even installed AdFree, which works great btw.

I've had the phone about 5 days now, and as far as the phone itself, it is extremely fast, things open up instantly when pressed, way faster than the iPhone 4, and I already installed quite a bit of stuff and was expecting some slow down, but this 1ghz Snapdragon is really doing a great job. So far no need to overclock here. I can't even imagine using these new Android based phones that have dual 1.2 or 1.5 processors ... !!

Sorry for the long post, but I just wanted to people to have a bit of understanding of where I'm coming from, as I do plan on posting quite a bit here on the forums.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. pawdog

pawdog Member

Welcome to the WWA (Wonderful World of Android). Sounds like you fit right in around here. I love having a phone that always has something new around the next corner that you don't have to keep spending money on. If you havent already, try Dolphin and Opera browsers, Taptu & Pulse RSS readers. the Phandroid app is very nice. If your phone can sideload apps get the Amazon Appstore, the free app of the day is a great program. Maybe by the time you try all the free stuff available you'll be back to work and can start on the paid stuff.

SC36DC likes this.
  3. SC36DC

SC36DC Lurker

Thank you pawdog for the reply.

I already have Dolphin installed, and love it. I tried Opera fist, but it seemed very slow.

I just installed Phandroid and Amazon App Store, thank you for suggesting them.

I will check out the others you mentioned as well.