1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support New to Android: How does Google Navigation work?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by BRuTAL_HiTMAN_, May 20, 2011.

1. BRuTAL_HiTMAN_

May 20, 2011
    ok i just got my first android phone switching from an old samsung epix (woohoo!). now it used to be that to use GPS, as i understood, on AT&T that you had to pay monthly to use AT&T navigator or whatever. however from what i've come to understand, with my android atrix, this is free and uses only data, correct?

So if i turn on the two services in settings: "Use Wireless Networks" and "Use GPS satellites" i will only be using data, correct, and therefore not charged extra by AT&T? How much data does each use if so, i only have a 200 mb plan, so this is important.

I did a lot of searching before this and i couldn't come to a definitive answer. also, the applications like Latitude and Maps are free to use with these features, also only using data aswell, correct? how is the data usage on those?

again, sorry if all these were answered clearly elsewhere, and thanks in advance for anyone who can help me

Advertisement

2. k3Ck

k3Ck Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2011
    Male
    Slacker
    NJ
    Correct. AT&T has their own GPS service but you can jut click maps and get it for free. I'm not sure if it uses data and if it does it probably uses close to none or just uses data to update the maps every few weeks.

3. BRuTAL_HiTMAN_

May 20, 2011
    thanks for the response k3ck! i appreciate the response!

4. Jedii

Jedii Android Expert

May 4, 2010
    Analyst
    Arkansas
    AT&T Navigator DOES use data. As does any other GPS service on the marketplace.

If you're on the 200mb plan, I would shy away from using a navigation service just to be safe.

5. kilasix9

kilasix9 Android Enthusiast

Oct 23, 2010
    Male
    Sales
    Miami
    Use Google Maps and the app that says 'Navigation' which comes on the phone. Both are free and work very well. The Google Nav app also provides turn by turn. AT&T Navigator is the one that will bill you $9.99 a month.

6. ROCer

ROCer Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Electrical Technician
    Upstate NY
    If you want to keep track how much data you are using, dial *DATA# (*3282#). AT&T will later send you a text message telling you how much data you have used this month. I find it very handy.

7. log1c

log1c Android Enthusiast

May 12, 2011
    California Love
    I did some research on this as well, Google Navigation uses data from Google Maps to lay out the map course which doesn't take much datause, probably around a couple kb, and then after the layout has been mapped out, navigation will guide you with no use of data anymore.

I have also downloaded CoPilot from the market along with the USA maps onto my phone, CoPilot doesn't need the use of data, just the GPS system because the maps are already installed onto the phone, all it needs is for the GPS to be active so that it can transmit to the satilite to plan out the navigation. I forgot how much CoPilot was, but it is a one time fee, unlike At&t Navigation which is a monthly fee and uses data.

8. MikeAusA

MikeAusA Member

Jul 27, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    People in Australia will soon be able to use MetroView - it's currently in Beta testing.

You pay once for the App, downloading the Maps (about 600MB) may cost you - but after that there are no more network charges.