1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support New to Android, how to get Gmail to push to phone?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Wings, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Wings

Wings Lurker
    None

Mar 20, 2011
    Louisiana
    I just bought my Inspire last week, and loving my first smartphone! I am having trouble figuring out how to get my Gmail to show up on my phone. From what I understand, Gmail is supposed to automatically push emails to my phone and show up in my notification bar. That's not happening. To see if I have new emails, I am having to open up the Gmail app and hit refresh.

Where do I need to go to change settings so that it pushes emails to my phone in real time and shows up in my notifications? I feel like I've opened up every setting menu on the phone trying to find out how to fix this, lol. If you don't mind, please be as specific as possible b/c I am a total newb to Android! :)

TIA. :)

Advertisement

2. 2manyPHONES

2manyPHONES Android Expert
    None

Jul 26, 2010
    NY & TX
    While in the gmail app, menu-more-settings-notification settings check that box and you can change the ringtone for it too

As far as auto sync, from the main screen menu-settings-accounts & sync
    are the background data and the auto sync boxes checked
    Is your gmail account listed on the screen if not tap add account.

3. Wings

Wings Lurker
    None

Mar 20, 2011
    Louisiana
    Thank you. :) I went into Accounts & Sync, and I do have background data and auto-sync checked. But, my Gmail account isn't listed on that screen. I did as suggested and went to 'Add Account', but Gmail isn't listed there for me to add. :thinking: Any suggestions on where to go from there?

4. 2manyPHONES

None

Jul 26, 2010
    NY & TX
    when you go to add an account do you see google with a green circle/check mark tap that to setup gmail account with sync on your phone. it will take you through a step by step process adding gmail address password etc

5. Wings

Wings Lurker
    None

Mar 20, 2011
    Louisiana
    Well, it turns out all of my sync settings were ok. My bf realized my task killer app was interfering with the auto-sync. He set the task killer to ignore Gmail, and now everything is up and running smoothly. I was so determined to figure this out without his help! Lol. Thanks for helping me troubleshoot. :)

6. 2manyPHONES

None

Jul 26, 2010
    NY & TX
    im going to suggest you ditch the task killer. They do more harm then good and with froyo you really dont need it. I use watchdog lite to monitor apps and it alerts me to apps gone crazy and then asks if I want to end that app. But when I was using task killer I had all kinds of problems on my captivate. Plus once it kills certain apps then try to auto restart that app, which I have read also uses more battery.

You can google it there was like a whole debate on it. Are task killers bad? Or something like that