• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help New to android... Need help!

e46fanatic

Lurker
Apr 19, 2011
Hi, I have recently bought the Epic and got the new update to android 2.2.1... I noticed that the battery goes fast despite using the advanced task killer and I dont have my data service on at all times... is there any other ideas? and I would also like to know if there are ways to delete default programs I do not use or keep them from running (even though i kill the task, they show back up shortly after).
Any help would be great! thanks.

Hi, I have recently bought the Epic and got the new update to android 2.2.1... I noticed that the battery goes fast despite using the advanced task killer and I dont have my data service on at all times... is there any other ideas? and I would also like to know if there are ways to delete default programs I do not use or keep them from running (even though i kill the task, they show back up shortly after).
Any help would be great! thanks.

The only way to delete stock apps is to root. As far as battery life goes rooting is another good way to do that. Also media hub is a huge drain so making sure that is killed will help. Also turning your brightness down as far as you can and have your screen still be usable for you. Dark wallpapers. Wifi on if you use and connect to wifi and off when not using and , gps on only when needed. Screen and keyboard timeouts. Backing out of apps when done with them (hitting the back button until prompted to close or get to home screen). Hope this helps ya. :)

Upvote 0
The only way to delete stock apps is to root. As far as battery life goes rooting is another good way to do that. Also media hub is a huge drain so making sure that is killed will help. Also turning your brightness down as far as you can and have your screen still be usable for you. Dark wallpapers. Wifi on if you use and connect to wifi and off when not using and , gps on only when needed. Screen and keyboard timeouts. Backing out of apps when done with them (hitting the back button until prompted to close or get to home screen). Hope this helps ya. :)

Thanks, but what is rooting? I hear it all the time but idk how to get it or how to use it...

Upvote 0
Thanks, but what is rooting? I hear it all the time but idk how to get it or how to use it...

You have a lot of reading to do if you want to understand rooting :p

Read this Sticky!!!!
http://androidforums.com/epic-4g-all-things-root/295943-wip.html
Did I mention you need to read that sticky?
Have you read it yet?
After you read that if its an adventure you want to take then follow these great how to videos created by Tschofield7

http://androidforums.com/epic-4g-ti...you-need-know-how-do-something-4-18-11-a.html

If you follow these steps exactly you will have no trouble at all on accomplishing this task.

In the description of each video he sources what programs or ROMs or what not he is using etc..etc..

Follow these how to's and you'll be rooted and theming and flashing roms in no time!

Good Luck! And let us know if you need any help.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones