1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root New to android..need of help

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by bkisho, Aug 20, 2011.

1. bkisho

bkisho Lurker
    None

Aug 20, 2011
    Hey guys just got my Nexus S phone today, and just joined this community today too. I previously had an iPhone 4 before and iPhone 3G. When it came to iPhone I knew I had to jailbreak to be able to modify my iPhone and that I need installous for free apps and cydia for tweaking my iPhone. If I want to do that to my Nexus S for an android I have no idea. I have read where you have to root but i got mixed ideas of unlocking the phone too. I don't want to screw up this phone. So if someone can kindly lead me to where I can "jailbreak" for my android so I can get free apps and tweaks, I would much appreciate it. Thanks in advance =)

Advertisement

2. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    bkisho,

Welcome to the AndroidForums!

I've moved your thread to the all-things-root sub-forum for the Nexus S (pretty sweet phone from what I understand ;)).

You should get some excellent responses and more views here from the great folks in this root sub-forum.

Cheers and best of luck with your new phone!

3. bkisho

bkisho Lurker
    None

Aug 20, 2011
    hey scary alien thanks:)
    sorry about that didn't know posted in the wrong section. Thanks for correcting it. Hopefully I get some better answers here:)

4. razvan06

razvan06 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 5, 2010
    Male
    ...who ?
    Bucharest
    Well you don't necessarily have to root your phone to install games or apps. The only thing you need to do is place it on your SD card ,install a file manager [ex: Astro] and under settings>application check "unknown sources" ,find the app using your file manager and install it !

Rooting=Jailbreak ,so if you decide to root your phone ,you should know that this is done only to change your phones ROM to a faster one ,or the system kernel and to get access to some apps that require root access.
    I do recommend rooting ,it changed my phones ... especially my Nexus One from day 1 'till now ,but do it carefully. As other have said ,it is very hard to brick a Nexus S/One [being developer phones and all that] but it is doable :)

If you DO decide to root your phone ,i recommend this guide and ROM for starters :
    ROM : CyanogenMod
    & Guide : Nexus_S:_Full_Update_Guide

Tags: