• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New to Android OS

I just want to use it for using social networking, reading news, play games. I have heard there are exclusive apps available for android. Would you know which ones are the best in the categories?

Some of the exclusives are more on "alternatives" mainly because people find for example the Facebook official app to be a battery hog or too bloated. So there are a number of alternative social networking apps which let you interface with Facebook in a leaner and less bloated way Some countries also has access to an offical Facebook Lite version.. Twitter also has a ton of alternative apps, some of the better ones being Falcon and Talon.

Upvote 0
Some of the exclusives are more on "alternatives" mainly because people find for example the Facebook official app to be a battery hog or too bloated. So there are a number of alternative social networking apps which let you interface with Facebook in a leaner and less bloated way Some countries also has access to an offical Facebook Lite version.. Twitter also has a ton of alternative apps, some of the better ones being Falcon and Talon.

thanks a lot for suggesting all these, I haven't used Facebook Lite, Falcon and Talon :), I will definitely download them and let you know soon about my experience :D

Upvote 0
reading news
Google News is OK for a news feed but I have been using Feedly forever and really like it.

Twitter is going to be updating (ha!) in August and 3rd party apps may run into issues with some functions. I guess it's mostly going to be notifications. I use Tweetings, it's a nice app. Hopefully whatever you end up liking won't get wrecked too badly when Twitter releases the new API rules/hobbling :)

Upvote 0
Google News is OK for a news feed but I have been using Feedly forever and really like it.

Twitter is going to be updating (ha!) in August and 3rd party apps may run into issues with some functions. I guess it's mostly going to be notifications. I use Tweetings, it's a nice app. Hopefully whatever you end up liking won't get wrecked too badly when Twitter releases the new API rules/hobbling :)

haha yes can't wait for what twitter ends up doing with all the bots on the platform, it was about time they made changes. I had never heard about tweetings, will definitely check it out. I am really happy that I joined all the Android forums. I think the android community is any day better :)

Upvote 0
haha yes can't wait for what twitter ends up doing with all the bots on the platform, it was about time they made changes. I had never heard about tweetings, will definitely check it out. I am really happy that I joined all the Android forums. I think the android community is any day better :)

Why thank you. And welcome to the light side :)

Upvote 0
When you're looking for things to install, you'll find Google's Play Store to be easier to do basic searches for things than Apple's App Store. The Play Store is more categorized and allows better keyword searching.

But as an aside, it's really important to set up some kind of backup solution. One thing every iPhone has is that very extensive backup/restore feature with iCloud and/or iTunes/Time Machine. Android on the other hand, leaves it up to the user to set up their own backup system. (With Apple, it has complete control of the entire development process for both its hardware and software so establishing a backup/restore system is complicated but doable, but with Android there's a whole mix of different hardware and software companies and vendors so the control over anything is typically a compromise.) Some manufacturers, like Samsung and its 'Smart Switch' utility, have a similar approach to a full backup/restore but it's still not as seamless as Apple's solution. Motorola has its own too, again not as extensive. But it depends on just what phone you do have.
Oh, and in your phone's Settings menu there's a 'Backup and reset' option. Just note that's something of a misnomer as yes it does do a backup into your online Google account but it only applies to selective Google apps and their settings. It is not doing any kind of full backup of all your data (photos, videos, music, etc.), that's still your responsibility.
At the very least, I'd recommend you install the Google Photos app (which will do automatic backup and syncing into your online Google account) and the SMS Backup & Restore app (for your text messages and call logs). ... and be sure to dig into the Settings menu of both, there's a lot of options to optimize things to suit your particular needs.
Google Photos
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.photos&hl=en_US
SMS Backup & Restore
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore&hl=en_US

Upvote 0
Welcome to Android Forums and welcome to Android!

Since everyone has a favorite app for social media, and games are a personal preference, I will stick to news. I have used both Feedly and News & Weather Widget (by Awnry) for YEARS. They are both customizable and work well.

The one thing you will want to get used to in Android are widgets. For example, News & Weather Widget has a 4x1 widget that pushes headlines to my home screen, in categories defined by the user - you. So you can see headlines on the topics that interest you at a glance... tapping it brings up more headlines in as many categories or custom topics as you want, and tapping a headline will open the article. As a news aggregator, it's hard to top it.

Upvote 0
When you're looking for things to install, you'll find Google's Play Store to be easier to do basic searches for things than Apple's App Store. The Play Store is more categorized and allows better keyword searching.

But as an aside, it's really important to set up some kind of backup solution. One thing every iPhone has is that very extensive backup/restore feature with iCloud and/or iTunes/Time Machine. Android on the other hand, leaves it up to the user to set up their own backup system. (With Apple, it has complete control of the entire development process for both its hardware and software so establishing a backup/restore system is complicated but doable, but with Android there's a whole mix of different hardware and software companies and vendors so the control over anything is typically a compromise.) Some manufacturers, like Samsung and its 'Smart Switch' utility, have a similar approach to a full backup/restore but it's still not as seamless as Apple's solution. Motorola has its own too, again not as extensive. But it depends on just what phone you do have.
Oh, and in your phone's Settings menu there's a 'Backup and reset' option. Just note that's something of a misnomer as yes it does do a backup into your online Google account but it only applies to selective Google apps and their settings. It is not doing any kind of full backup of all your data (photos, videos, music, etc.), that's still your responsibility.
At the very least, I'd recommend you install the Google Photos app (which will do automatic backup and syncing into your online Google account) and the SMS Backup & Restore app (for your text messages and call logs). ... and be sure to dig into the Settings menu of both, there's a lot of options to optimize things to suit your particular needs.
Google Photos
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.photos&hl=en_US
SMS Backup & Restore
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore&hl=en_US

Hey, thank you so much for responding and explaining it to me beautifully. Yes IOS backup is pain and it takes forever, Apple makes sure that you need to have everything on their OS to make it smooth else it is very difficult to function.

Google photos is something I have downloaded and started backing my photos - haven't tried the SMS backup - will download it today and let you know :)

Would you know of any social networking platforms which are exclusively available on Android?

Upvote 0
Welcome to Android Forums and welcome to Android!

Since everyone has a favorite app for social media, and games are a personal preference, I will stick to news. I have used both Feedly and News & Weather Widget (by Awnry) for YEARS. They are both customizable and work well.

The one thing you will want to get used to in Android are widgets. For example, News & Weather Widget has a 4x1 widget that pushes headlines to my home screen, in categories defined by the user - you. So you can see headlines on the topics that interest you at a glance... tapping it brings up more headlines in as many categories or custom topics as you want, and tapping a headline will open the article. As a news aggregator, it's hard to top it.

Firstly, thank you for the recommendations, will definitely check them out and keep you posted. Can I possibly ask which ones are your favorite in the social networking world? Would love to get your recommendations on those too.

Upvote 0
I'm not a big social media user at all, so will leave that to others.

For news the first thing I'd check is whether your favourite outlets have apps of their own. I have 3 such (UK) apps and use them more than any aggregator. I've been trying Google News for a couple of months, and while the "Headlines" tab isn't too bad the "personalised" feed (For You) is very slow to learn my interests: you'd think that after telling it "fewer stories like this" for more than a thousand football articles (soccer to Americans) and never reading even one even the dumbest AI would see the pattern, but it still presents me with a fair number (though not more than half of the feed, as it was at first). The "Headlines" section is better, but overall I find I prefer to just go to a few sites separately. But I will give it credit, it did at least respect my "no stories from the Daily Mail" instruction ;).

Reactions: svim
Upvote 0
the community is awesome, i didn't expect such quick and useful responses. Yes android community is definitely more fun
smilie.png

Around here, you'll get more considerate and useful responses than 'just because it is better..' and no fear of walking into glass walls.. ;)

As for social media, remember that the Facebook app is a total memory hog and bad on battery drain due to its wakelocks and constant update pings. Usually best to use a browser for that and Messenger Lite for their messages

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones