• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

new to android quick question

Jughead32

Aug 31, 2011
hey guys not sure if this is specific to my model i have a g2x.
I recently bought a 16gb sd card for it replacing a crappy 1gb i had laying around.

Something i have now noticed as computers now see it as 2 different drives instead of 1. a 16gb and a 5gb shows up, where as with the 1gb that was all that showed up and would be used if i xfered stuff over.

thanks
Justin

Shouldn't it show as two separate storage devices on purpose? If I remember correctly the G2X has 8GB of internal memory, and also an SD card slot. So if you have a 16 GB SD card it should show two different storage devices. One being internal storage, and the other being SD storage. That's why you are showing both 16GB available and 5GB available since you have used some of the internal storage, and some of the space is designated for apps.

It seems like previously it wasn't showing both of them, when it should have been all along.

Reactions: Jughead32
Upvote 0
yeah, when i connect to the comp. 1 drive with 5gb shows up with the folders and another at 16 gb(well 14.5) with iirc the same folders pops up. when i go to manage apps it only shows that i have a 5gb sd card and when i move apps to sd card thats where it puts them.
Although Using doubletwist to sync my music it did put the songs on the external 16gb.

I have reset the phone to factory and it shows the same.

Upvote 0
yeah, when i connect to the comp. 1 drive with 5gb shows up with the folders and another at 16 gb(well 14.5) with iirc the same folders pops up. when i go to manage apps it only shows that i have a 5gb sd card and when i move apps to sd card thats where it puts them.
Although Using doubletwist to sync my music it did put the songs on the external 16gb.

I have reset the phone to factory and it shows the same.

Yes, the G2X has 8Gb of onboard RAM of which 3Gb is reserved for the OS, so 5Gb is available to the user. This will show up as the first drive. The second drive is the SD card, which will be the size of the card. I believe the phone will also autocopy some key info from the onboard ram to the SD card to create a backup. This is why you are seeing the same folders in both places before you put anything on the SD card.

Upvote 0
Yes, the G2X has 8Gb of onboard RAM of which 3Gb is reserved for the OS, so 5Gb is available to the user. This will show up as the first drive. The second drive is the SD card, which will be the size of the card. I believe the phone will also autocopy some key info from the onboard ram to the SD card to create a backup. This is why you are seeing the same folders in both places before you put anything on the SD card.

Very in-depth explanation :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones