1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

New to Android smart phones..

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by tssme12, Mar 13, 2011.

1. tssme12

tssme12 Lurker
    None

Mar 13, 2011
    So...i've been playing around with my HTC inspire for the last week and seems like i know how to operate my phone..and do most basic things. i understand that Android offers you ways to personalize more so than i phone...but i've quite ignorant outside of the utilization of the most basic features. i was wondering if anyone can direct me towards a website..or few dummy points to enhance my experience w/ android.

Would appreciate any input i can get.

Advertisement

2. Aatos.1

Aatos.1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 31, 2010
    West Coast USA
    Congratulations on your new phone, and kudos for taking an interest in educating yourself about Android. This is Androids single biggest hurdle in my opinion. Too many are too lazy to learn and operate off woefully incorrect info.

Just like Windows is different than Linux. Android is different than iOS.

Just because they're both phones, does not mean that one has nothing to learn.

One additional myth is Android is for geeks and iPhones are for the masses. This is simply not true. Apple runs a dictatorial system with no flexibility. Locked into buying all content via iTunes it's a big win for Apples revenue, yet limiting for the customer.

To your question. What I suggest is to remember Google will produce a great list of websites. There you will find many learning resources, so that you may choose the one or ones that appeal to you.

Here are a few general suggestions.

Do NOT use a task killer.
    Do not root your phone till you have educated yourself sufficiently. You may decide it's not for you. It's far overrated. The phone you have is very well engineered and far too many people think they know better than the highly skilled engineers.

Lastly, take your time and enjoy your phone. In my opinion it's one of the best currently available.

Cheers :)

3. poriggity

poriggity Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 9, 2011
    Amsoil Dealer
    Blue Jay, Ca
    Any reason not to use a task killer? Task killers seem to be a love it or hate it item..
    Scott

4. Aatos.1

Aatos.1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 31, 2010
    West Coast USA
    First it's important to know that relative to desktop operating systems like windows, it's extremely easy for one to call themselves a developer for a mobile OS.

Therefore when Android first arrived, these novices began poking around in Android and noticed that just like a PC, some tasks were running in the background.

What they wrongfully _assumed_ is if they "killed" these, the battery life would be increased. They also assumed that the processor would be free and speed up the phone. Both assumptions are wrong.

Why did they make this mistake? They failed to study how Android works and rushed into hacking it. Most of the apps in the background are simply idling waiting to assist in launching an app you're using off and on. They actually speed up what you're doing They are supposed to be there & they are not drawing power.

Why are so many adamant it increases battery life and makes the phone faster? Placebo effect. Plain & simple. There are no quantifiable tests to prove their claims. Any set of benchmark results can be manipulated and that's what's been done to save face.

Cheers :)

poriggity likes this.
  5. poriggity

poriggity Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 9, 2011
    Amsoil Dealer
    Blue Jay, Ca
    Makes great sense to me.. I think I'll ditch the atk now...