• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New to Android with a HTC Hero. What apps should I get?

Windowlicker

Lurker
Feb 18, 2010
Hi all. This is my first post on here, so apologies for any faux pas! :)
Anyway, I am soon to trade in my Nokia 5800 (horrible, horrible phone) for an HTC Hero/G2. I've been reading up on it and getting really excited about all the stuff I'll be able to do with an Android phone, but am a bit bamboozled by the sheer choice of apps available! :eek:
So what I'm after is any recommendations for essential apps that I should download as soon as I get my new phone. I've seen the "Tips, tricks & Useful Apps" sticky, which does have some very interesting looking stuff in it, but just thought I'd check to see if anything else has been released that I should be aware of, as the sticky is about 3 months old now, and I know new apps are released all the time.
I'll be using my Hero mostly for web access (Facebook, Hotmail, Youtube etc), listening to music, watching videos, maybe a bit of gaming and anything else that is fun and a bit geeky! I'm quite technically minded, so don't worry about confusing me with technobabble. In fact, I'm quite partial to a bit of technobabble! :D
So if you can think of anything that a noob might need then please let me know!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones