1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

New to Android

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by DigitalSifu, Aug 18, 2010.

1. DigitalSifu

DigitalSifu Member

Aug 15, 2010
    Hello all...

Just jumped on the Android wagon after a long stint with Blackberry. Tons of smartphone and PDA experience before that (Ipaqs, Treos, Windows mobile), but finally decided on blackberry for the past 4 years.

Well, after the latest "revolution" of Blackberry 6 (I was on AT&T, and was anxiously awaiting the Torch), I was sorely disappointed. Not but a day or two after the Torch's release, a co-worker of mine came by my office with his Droid X. After 5 minutes of playing with it, I was blown away by what was "normal" to the Android platform. I won't totally knock BB (it has its strong points as a pure messaging platform) , but it is a very crippled experience next to Android. I was hooked.

Well, I was thinking of staying with AT&T, but they just didn't have the Android devices that really met my needs. I almost went for the Samsung Captivate, but was deterred by the known GPS issues. I finally made up my mind that I was tired of living in the land that caters to iPhone. I decided to jump ship out of my contract and go over to Verizon, where I am now the happy owner of the Droid 2. Coming from BB, I just HAD to have a keyboard. Maybe in time I can learn to live without one, but my typing kung fu is just no good on a screen yet.

Well, so far, the Droid2 rocks, and so does this platform. I now feel like I am a part of a community that is thriving and aiming for the sky, rather than stuck with a platform playing catch-up, or just trying to make the techno-phobes happy (yeah, that's a shot at RIM... so what).

Looking forward to learning a lot and having fun doing it. See yiz on the forums.

-DS

Advertisement

2. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice

Nov 28, 2009
    Welcome to the forums!

3. G.Armour

G.Armour You know you want to.

Jan 11, 2010
    Truck driver/ driver mentor. I train people to dri
    Georgia
    Welcome to the Android Forums!