1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

New To App Development Problems

Discussion in 'Android Development' started by Champion Buckler, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Champion Buckler

I have just recently started to work with kotlin and am working on developing an app, however I am having difficulty due to what I believe is lack of familiarity with the language. So any help would be appreciated.

Problem 1 (main): I am trying to implement a navigation drawer on top of a navigation bar to sub-divide some of the options.
    example: Nav Bar (3 options) -> Nav drawer 1 ( 6 options ), Nav drawer 2 ( 6 options ), Nav drawer 3 ( 6 options ).
    The problem is that I can't get my "onNavigationItemSelected" function to recognize the Nav Drawer buttons.

Problem 2 (other): I am getting a app crash when I try to implement a menu button to activate the nav drawer, receiving a "findViewById(R.id.drawer_layout) must not be null" error. I have the exact same code in another project and it works fine, I can't figure out what in this code is braking it.

Problem 3 (annoyance): Everything is fine when I start the application up but when I select an option from the nav bar the toolbar at the top of the screen slides up. May be linked to problem number 2.

Github for the Project: github.com/W-y-e/ShiftRing

#1 Champion Buckler, Sep 12, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  2. wseng92

wseng92 Android Enthusiast

If possible, please upload your full project to git, and share the link here.

3. Champion Buckler

Hey, I edited the post and uploaded my project to github.

4. wseng92

wseng92 Android Enthusiast

Are you trying to create an app with navigation drawer and bottom navigation bar?