• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New to B&N Tablet

mbtaylor29

Feb 24, 2011
Hey guys, hope everyone is having a good holiday! My mom just got a B&N Nook Tablet and I have a couple questions. She comes to me since she's technology ya know, lol. What are some cool things I should do/download? Can it play music? What's the benefits of rooting?

Thanks for any advice!

With B&N's software layer, the NT is basically a super e reader with limited media capability that's almost totally locked down to B&N's infrastructure. B&N's app selection in particular is extremely disappointing both in selection and price. Rooting and installing an alternate launcher (go, ADW, Launcher Pro, ect) turns it into a fully functional tablet with full access to all the Google services as well as B&N's and/or Amazon's if you choose. A rooted NT is in essence a totally different device than a non rooted one.

Reactions: botomgun
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones