• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help New to DROID - Can I turn off Notifications

Lilypad31

Lurker
Oct 11, 2011
Hey guys! So I just set up my Atrix after 3 years on the iPhone and I'm definitely becoming a fan, however I'm having a little trouble with notifications.

1 - Call me crazy, but I really HATE push notifications, especially with things like Facebook and LinkedIn. Is there any way to turn these notifications off? I managed to turn off the email notifications, but I still get a message every time someone posts to my wall or invites me to an event. Is my only option to change the battery mode so that data turns off after 15 minutes?

2 - any way to get a pop up or larger notification for texts or to customize the notifications so that a text message makes a different sound than an email or a facebook ping? I've seen notes about changing the LED light for different notifications, but not the sound.

3 - I'm getting double email notifications - one for my gmail that's hooked up through the Email app and one for Gmail through gmail. Interestingly, the Email app does not use push (since I said not to and that I want to manually sync) but the Gmail app does.

Basically, any help I can get towards specifying notifications/limiting notifications would help greatly. I'm one of those people who doesn't like their phone beeping all the time.

Thanks!

1) To change e-mail and social network notification: open the messaging app> menu> messaging settings> select which one you would like to change. (I have my e-mail to sync every 4 hrs.) Make sure to turn off “Data Push” under the delivery for each app.

2) Not with the stock SMS app. You will need to use a 3rd party app for that. I use “Handcent” as my default SMS. It has a pop up window, that appears over the lock screen. You can view text and reply to them without having to unlock the phone. You can even have individual notification sounds, for all your contacts with this app. To change the notification sound in the stock SMS: open the messaging app> text messaging> menu> message settings> select ringtone> pick your sound. (It should give you an example of each sound.)

3) To turn off notifications. From the home screen: press menu> accounts> under other accounts, select that account> under “data & Synchronization” unselect “Sync Gmail”. (This will stop the double notifications.)

With text messaging, you can’t set a time for them. They will come whenever someone sends you a text.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones