1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

New to Droid ... Help Please

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by cm123, Feb 28, 2011.

1. cm123

cm123 Newbie
    None

I'm about to get my first smartphone and I'm not sure which to get. I was really looking forward to the Thunderbolt, but since the release has been stalled, it seems closer to the next release which I think is the Droid Bionic. I've tried to do my research and have read that the Thunderbolt has single core processor vs the Bionic with dual core, but as a first-time user, would I really know the difference? I've also read that HTC Sense is easier and user-friendly. What is the difference between the two UIs?

Also, I've read about rooting and understand that it unlocks the phone so you have more options, but I don't know what the difference is between the options I'm given by the phone and the options I'd have after rooting. And if I end up rooting my phone, does Verizon void my warranty?

What about Anti-Virus? Do I need to install that on my phone? If so, how do I know which one to install?

Is there a way to put my music from iTunes onto my Droid? Someone said you just need to change a song into an mp3 and then plug the phone into the computer and download it. Is this true? How hard/time-consuming will this be for each song?

And in reading on the forums, I see people using "ROM"...what is this?

Thanks in advance! :D

Advertisement

2. sitlet

None

Apr 11, 2010
    hard to explain, just different ui's. Youtube will be your friend with this question.

When you root, your phone will be exactly the same, just unlocked. You dont have to install new roms if you dont want to.

Absolutely. So if you need to take the phone into the verizon store for ANY reason, you need to unroot and re-flash a stock rom to go back to normal.

Not needed. There arent any viruses for an android phone.

if the songs were purchased from itunes, no. They have drm on them, and you would need to remove that first. It isnt easy and is very time consuming. If you just used itunes to import your own music, it should transfer and play just fine.

Just google "what is an android rom"

cm123 likes this.