• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New to eris, city weather question

D

Deleted User

Not sure if this is an app, new to the smartphone world (eris <3) and it lists it as a widget so I assume the post can go here.

Seems to be a question that pops up all over the place, HTC clock/weather widget lists the wrong city. GPS is on and with "My location" I can get my city just fine, but refuses to show it on the main screen, so much infact when I delete the lovely city of NY (formally Detroit), it seemingly just re-adds itself.

It seems to refuse to display anything that's not on the basic "Search" list and if I select from the list, I get stuck with it until I select another one from the Maine lacking list.

Of course the closest city I had previously when I first turned on the phone was Garland which also isn't on the "list", but bleh I want my city.

So my question... Since the HTC widget seems to work on shitluck or not at all, is there another widget/app or whatever they are called that looks nearly the same as the HTC one?

The two most popular apps the mimic the HTC weather/clock widget are Beautiful Widgets and Weather Widget Donate. They are both available in the market.

As to the HTC widget itself, the weather and location are shown based on cell tower triangulation. Having the GPS will not help or hurt the widget from working. If you are currently having signal issues or there is a tower down in your area you will have trouble getting your location. Also the list of cities is only a list of major/well known cities. It is not going to have smaller towns in the list. Smaller towns will come up based on where the tower says you are though.

Upvote 0
I've had this problem happen 3 times in the past week at random times when I wake up my phone. The last two times it has put me in Tirana, Albania; I'm in North Dakota. It changes my clock about 9 hours ahead. It usually puts me back in Fargo pretty quick, but it never changes the time back unless I restart the phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones