• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help new to Eris... please help!

sheena728

Lurker
Dec 30, 2011
Ok so yes I know that I'm a little late to the Droid game - but as a single mom I haven't been able to afford a *smart*phone! I purchases an Eris from Amazon and it said it was functional on PagePlus... well it does work well as a phone, for sms msgs, and an alarm clock. LOL, But that's about it. Oh ok the wifi works too. But I can't DL and mms msgs or attachments like ringtones. It's previously a Verizon phone so what's the problem? I have read tons of posts and have made sure my wifi is dc'd. So short of returning the dang thing - which I don't want to do bcuz it is kinda cool - what other options do I have?

Please someone help me with this stupid smart phone!

Thanks!
~s~

Ok so yes I know that I'm a little late to the Droid game - but as a single mom I haven't been able to afford a *smart*phone! I purchases an Eris from Amazon and it said it was functional on PagePlus... well it does work well as a phone, for sms msgs, and an alarm clock. LOL, But that's about it. Oh ok the wifi works too. But I can't DL and mms msgs or attachments like ringtones. It's previously a Verizon phone so what's the problem? I have read tons of posts and have made sure my wifi is dc'd. So short of returning the dang thing - which I don't want to do bcuz it is kinda cool - what other options do I have?

Please someone help me with this stupid smart phone!

Thanks!
~s~
suggest you go into the android market app and install handcent for messaging, and dolphin browser mini. you could do the HD version but I would suggest you root the phone for that. since this is your first smart phone, and your still finding your way around it, I would wait on that step. if you need a great todo list app to keep track of bills or other things I would check out "got to do".

Upvote 0
tyvm dracozny - I already dl'd handcent and even it shuts down on it's own sometimes when a sms msg comes in. Did it twice yesterday! Sometimes my screen won't rotate when I turn the phone. And I can't dl any mms or msgs with attachments like ringtones. Nothing. And I can't send anything either. Just plain old text. Ugh! I'm beginning to wonder if there is a glitch in the phone... I've been reading the forums for hours on end and I see a lot of people with mms probs.
I was so hoping this would be an easy transition but I'm beginning to want my old phone back because it at least could do the basic stuff! Anyone have any suggestions as to a better droid option that won't cost me a ton?

Thanks to all!

Upvote 0
Sorry, I really don't know much about running the Eris on other carriers - I haven't tried it myself. Actually, as MMS requires 3G data for delivery, and you mention that you cannot download, perhaps it's a 3G data issue?

Pageplus is not supposed to require changing the APN settings, as it runs on Verizon's network, so I doubt that's the problem.

Just out of curiosity, do you have mobile data turned off? That may be the problem.

Upvote 0
@dooglad - yes I turned off the wifi, as I had read to do on other posts, and it still wouldnt work. So I called PP (and this time somebody knew what she was talking about) and they said it was because my phone used up all my data time the first day I had it and thats why I couldnt DL anything! OMGosh I had no idea it could do that. She said it uses data even if you arent meaning to. How do I fix it so that when Im home it will be on my wifi and also some kind of fix that wont use up all my data when Im not even online or DLing anything.... this is all so new to me!

Upvote 0
@dooglad - yes I turned off the wifi, as I had read to do on other posts, and it still wouldnt work. So I called PP (and this time somebody knew what she was talking about) and they said it was because my phone used up all my data time the first day I had it and thats why I couldnt DL anything! OMGosh I had no idea it could do that. She said it uses data even if you arent meaning to. How do I fix it so that when Im home it will be on my wifi and also some kind of fix that wont use up all my data when Im not even online or DLing anything.... this is all so new to me!

Whenever you are on WiFi, the Eris will always use WiFi for data (with the exception of sending and receiving MMS messages, as previously discussed.)

You can add a widget to a home screen (it's under HTC widgets, then settings, I think it's called Mobile Data) that you can use to toggle mobile data off. That way you will only use mobile data when you want or need to - toggle it on when you are out and about and need to get or send information through apps, etc. It will still allow you to make and receive phone calls and text messages, but it will not use 3G for data. (Note that you can also toggle by long-pressing the power button - there is a setting there for toggling mobile data.)

Note that apps like twitter, facebook, etc., are often set to poll for data on a fixed schedule, as is the email app, and gmail and Google sync services are always waiting for data to send (if you change a contact or calendar item on the phone, or on Google calendar, or receive a gmail message, if you use gmail) so the phone can definitely use data in the background when you think that it is not. In fact, that big, pretty HTC clock and weather widget is set to update the weather on a periodic basis - I think that it's hourly, though it may be every three hours.

Good luck and let us know if you have any more questions. There are other ways to automate toggling data on and off, such as using the app JuiceDefender. I do wish that there was an app that would allow you to limit data usage for apps on an app by app basis for plans like your Pageplus data plan, but for now that seems to only exist for non-Verizon phones and for the lastest version of Android, version 4.0 (also known as Ice Cream Sandwich). The Eris stock runs Android 2.1 (also known as Eclair.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones