• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New to Evo, few questions

ir0ns1n

Oct 30, 2010
Arizona
Hello, I just purchased a Evo and have had it for a few days. Being I came from the crap fest that the Samsung Instict S30 was and I'm new to HTC/Android. So I'll get right to my questions:

1) Wifi; I know what it means and all but what does it actually do on the phone? I watched a youtube video that seemed to load much faster with wifi enabled (and connected to my wireless internet) but it could just be my imagination.

2) Battery; After a full day I tend to get close to killing a battery but still haven't yet. However I notice alot of people upgrading to Seidio Innocell 1750, 2200, 3500. I'm just trying to gauge what a good middle of the road size is. I would like to beable to use my phone and not have it go dead on me at night if I'm out and about (and some days I am usage heavy and most others I'm not). However I dunno how much of an improvement any of these are over the standard battery. Plus I've never had a phone that could actually do anything so I'm on my phone more now then ever. Also with the new batterys comes the larger back plate so is just better to go all out and get a 3500 battery and call it good? With a battery do I need a new charger set up as Ive heard the stock charger sucks...?

3) Also I guess a general question is I've hit the app store and messed with the phone for a while. But what else should I do? Just lookn for any cool ideas or apps you guys really like!

Thanks!
- Thomas

WiFi basically connects to the router inside a house, cafe, book store, etc and allows for faster downloads than 3G will give you. It is however, more strenuous on the battery than 3/4G is.

Idk about those batteries in particular, but I know you can find batteries that last longer that don't require the larger back. Two other options are to buy a second battery (same size that's in the Evo) and switching them when one gets low; or do what I did and buy a solar powered device you plug into the phone that you can use and recharge when you are out.

I have a list of apps on Facebook, but the general ones are task killer, sleep silencer, missed call, and angry birds.

Upvote 0
WiFi basically connects to the router inside a house, cafe, book store, etc and allows for faster downloads than 3G will give you. It is also less strenuous on the battery than 3/4G is.
Ok awesome it wasnt just my imagination then! Good to know!

Idk about those batteries in particular, but I know you can find batteries that last longer that don't require the larger back. Two other options are to buy a second battery (same size that's in the Evo) and switching them when one gets low; or do what I did and buy a solar powered device you plug into the phone that you can use and recharge when you are out.
I'll have to look into the solar device! I'll just have to keep looking in general too!

I have a list of apps on Facebook, but the general ones are task killer, sleep silencer, missed call, and angry birds.
I have task killer and angry birds I'll check out the rest thanks!

Thanks a bunch for the reply!

Upvote 0
Ok awesome it wasnt just my imagination then! Good to know!

I'll have to look into the solar device! I'll just have to keep looking in general too!

I have task killer and angry birds I'll check out the rest thanks!

Thanks a bunch for the reply!
Btw, the name of the device I have is the Mono-i by Solio. It also comes in two larger versions.
Also, here's the link to the list of other apps. Login | Facebook
If it won't let you view, just add me. My username is the same as here.

And you are welcome. :)

Upvote 0
I'm sorry, I made a huge mistake. I meant that WiFi is More strenuous on the battery than 3/4G is.
I fixed the post above so as not to confuse others.

You were right the first time

The opposite is actually true. When connected to wifi 3g 4g is turned off and
Wifi is less strenuous on the battery.

Now it has been said that having wifi on with no wifi connection will cause excess drain

Upvote 0
You were right the first time

The opposite is actually true. When connected to wifi 3g 4g is turned off and
Wifi is less strenuous on the battery.

Now it has been said that having wifi on with no wifi connection will cause excess drain

Correct, WIFI will be less strenuous on the battery.

Um, Where exactly are you getting these "facts"? Because you know, Personal Experience doesn't count for anything right?
When I have 4G on, my phone can last 10+ hours. When its on WiFi, it only lasts about 5. So why don't you take some time to think before you interrupt someone else trying to help out a first time user, hmm?

Upvote 0
It's been well documented. If you need further links feel free to pm me and I will gladly supply you some links on multiple forums. What you list is definitely not the normal behavior...that doesn't mean you aren't experiencing it...it's just not typical. So, just as you said, each user's results may be different. There are definitely more that report the exact opposite of what you stated. In those cases 4g drains the battery significantly faster than wifi. Now, if you have a tower supplying 4g in your backyard...it might yield different results. I have a difficult time understanding your last post....it's almost as if your personal experiences count...but others' don't.

also...a tip for multi quoting...use the small icon with the chat bubble and plus sign first..then click "quote" for the last member you wish to quote. it will work much cleaner than whatever happened in that post lol :)

Um, Where exactly are you getting these "facts"? Because you know, Personal Experience doesn't count for anything right?
When I have 4G on, my phone can last 10+ hours. When its on WiFi, it only lasts about 5. So why don't you take some time to think before you interrupt someone else trying to help out a first time user, hmm?

Upvote 0
It's been well documented. If you need further links feel free to pm me and I will gladly supply you some links on multiple forums. What you list is definitely not the normal behavior...that doesn't mean you aren't experiencing it...it's just not typical. So, just as you said, each user's results may be different. There are definitely more that report the exact opposite of what you stated. In those cases 4g drains the battery significantly faster than wifi. Now, if you have a tower supplying 4g in your backyard...it might yield different results. I have a difficult time understanding your last post....it's almost as if your personal experiences count...but others' don't.

also...a tip for multi quoting...use the small icon with the chat bubble and plus sign first..then click "quote" for the last member you wish to quote. it will work much cleaner than whatever happened in that post lol :)

I already know how to quote, thanks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones