• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help New to Fascinate...help please

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and new to the Fascinate. I'm dumb when it comes to smart phones. I previously used a LG Chocolate 2. My question is can someone point me to a thread or give well explained advice on what I should do to 'improve' the device? I've read a few threads that mentioned removing bloatware and adding this or that app to improve performance and whatnot. I definitely want to use Google maps but not sure on how to go about it. The salesman in the Verizon store was no help and was more interested in showing me what games to add rather than how to use the thing. Thanks to all in advance.

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and new to the Fascinate. I'm dumb when it comes to smart phones. I previously used a LG Chocolate 2. My question is can someone point me to a thread or give well explained advice on what I should do to 'improve' the device? I've read a few threads that mentioned removing bloatware and adding this or that app to improve performance and whatnot. I definitely want to use Google maps but not sure on how to go about it. The salesman in the Verizon store was no help and was more interested in showing me what games to add rather than how to use the thing. Thanks to all in advance.

First off welcome.

Now, please don't jump the gun on trying to "improve" your phone. Play around with it first to see if you even need to do it. A lot of things people do here on their phones is based on their own preferences. Seeing that this is your first smartphone, I would suggest holding off on rooting your phone and doing anything else that requires root, until you are extremely well versed in how it all works.

Many people here, and on xda forums have borked their phones trying to do stuff they didn't have a clear understanding of, including myself. I think a lot of people that are new to this stuff see seasoned people talking about their phones being more efficient since they've hacked into it, then the n00bs try this stuff for themselves and fudge up.

As far as google maps goes, just go to the market, click the magnifying glass, type in google maps, and install.

Back to what I said before though, try the phone out for a bit how it is, don't jump the gun and do stuff you may not be really knowledgeable about. I currently have my Fascinate just how it was out of the box with no changes, and I'm perfectly satisfied with it.

Reactions: nitsuj17
Upvote 0
First off welcome.

Now, please don't jump the gun on trying to "improve" your phone. Play around with it first to see if you even need to do it. A lot of things people do here on their phones is based on their own preferences. Seeing that this is your first smartphone, I would suggest holding off on rooting your phone and doing anything else that requires root, until you are extremely well versed in how it all works.

Many people here, and on xda forums have borked their phones trying to do stuff they didn't have a clear understanding of, including myself. I think a lot of people that are new to this stuff see seasoned people talking about their phones being more efficient since they've hacked into it, then the n00bs try this stuff for themselves and fudge up.

As far as google maps goes, just go to the market, click the magnifying glass, type in google maps, and install.

Back to what I said before though, try the phone out for a bit how it is, don't jump the gun and do stuff you may not be really knowledgeable about. I currently have my Fascinate just how it was out of the box with no changes, and I'm perfectly satisfied with it.

+1

great advice, always best to get used to your phone and android in general before doing anything. its easy to get impatient (i always do), but you may find a non-rooted sf more than enough to meet your needs

Upvote 0
Agreed. My wife just moved from a Chocolate 2 to a Fascinate and she's loving her phone bone stock, but then she doesn't really do alot of techy stuff with her phone. I on the other hand am thinking of rooting (eventually) but I've a little more technically minded, have delved into PC overclocking, etc (although I know they're not similar).

As for Google Maps, you don't even have to search for it, just go to Apps/All Apps/Top Free and it should be in the top 5 on the list.

Upvote 0
Welcome indeed.
tony gave you some great advice above.
The best thing to do honestly is just mess around with it. Frisco's thread is a nice one stop shop. After a few hours/days/weeks you will have specific questions where we can give you specific answers and thats really a lot better than trying to pre-tell you every last thing you may or may not need at all

Upvote 0
I'm sure you guys are right. I wasn't really wanting to root it but rather get some tips and tricks on how to use it. I'm sure for the time being I'll leave it stock.

I did install the Google Maps app and when I go to the Navigation app, it tells me my GPS is disabled. I click on 'OK' and it takes me to the location and security menu. Is there something there I'm supposed to have turned on to get it to work? Sorry for my ignorance.

Upvote 0
I'm sure you guys are right. I wasn't really wanting to root it but rather get some tips and tricks on how to use it. I'm sure for the time being I'll leave it stock.

I did install the Google Maps app and when I go to the Navigation app, it tells me my GPS is disabled. I click on 'OK' and it takes me to the location and security menu. Is there something there I'm supposed to have turned on to get it to work? Sorry for my ignorance.
Yes you need to turn on/Green Check Standalone GPS Services to turn on GPS

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones