• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps New to G1 - hackability?

zbraniecki

Lurker
Feb 12, 2009
Hi all

I recently bought G1 Dev version for its promise to be my first hackable phone. I previously used iphone, and switched pretty easily, but there are things that I either don't understand or need help with.

1) I was hoping to be able to reuse the patterns known from open source projects I work on and use - one of the first things I wanted to do is to update my phone to nightly Android version. And I failed to find any info on how to do it :(

2) I know there's a firmware update, and if I read correctly I have firmware 1.0 and baseband 62.33.20.08H_1.22.12.29. How to update it to RC33?

3) Where will I find tutorials/resources on people hacking G1. How can I upgrade kernel, software, etc.

4) Does the fact that I have "unlocked" Dev G1 means that I will be able to compile native apps, or do I have to stick to Java ones?

5) How can I log in into my phone via USB?

6) Can I use my laptop WiFi to connect to Internet instead of G1 wifi (to save battery)?

7) I launched Market and installed 5-6 apps. Now G1 reports I'm low on disk space. I don't know how can I manage my SD card, I have 966 MB there and only 5MB left on the phone storage. Similar with text messages - after 20 or 30 it reports I'm ot of space. Can I do something about it to use SD card space for apps, or messages? I'm surprised about messages, because on my old samsung (with the same SIM card) i was able to store 300 msg.

Thanks for help!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones